Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Calling all mice...

We got the game last week and played a few games with my kid. We love it!
And yet something a bit annoying happened:

At a point during chapter 3, the hourglass came 1 space next the "End", and Ewenn (my son) said : "but daddy we cannot win", and he was right, we had 1 or 2 more rooms to explore, so there was no way of winning this chapter. (EDIT: see remark below, it wasn't a sure shot but it was extremely probable that we lose).
The point is: it's not important that we win or lose, but how it happened was very anticlimactic.

So, given that:
- this was a bit annoying
- when you lose you can choose to replay the chapter or go on to the next (rules p. 5, under Defeat)
- we don't want to replay a chapter in the same campaign (I wouldn't mind a replay outside the campaign), because it seems so strange to us. I know that some, even Jerry iirc, go back to a "save point", but I don't like this solution, I find it to really break my suspension of disbelief.
- win or lose, there is no difference in what is transfered to the next chapter
- the story aspect is really interesting

We decided to play like this: (and so I wanted to share )

You always play a chapter to completion. That means that the hourglass can go beyond the End point.
When you have reached the objective, you look at the position of the hourglass:
- any space before the end gives you 1 point
- any space beyond the end gives you -1 point.
Just keep a running score until the end and see how well you fared.

That's all.

Obviously, we don't have anything to compare to for now, but simply ending the whole story with a positive score would be satisfying enough!

Note: Instead of keeping score, I first thought of gaining something if you end a chapter positive, or lose something if you end it negative, the problem I think would be an undesirable snowball/death spiral effect, so I ditched that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like an excellent variant!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Jerry!
Your game is wonderful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kris wrote:
At a point during chapter 3, the hourglass came 1 space next the "End", and Ewenn (my son) said : "but daddy we cannot win", and he was right, we had 1 or 2 more rooms to explore, so there was no way of winning this chapter.

You shouldn't take this for granted. Don't know by heart this specific chapter, but I know that there are some that gives you extra time depending on the events happening. Also, it depends a lot on the die rolls, you can get times where you can clear rooms without getting any cheese on the wheel.

For the rest, I like the idea. This could help you advance with time running out. However, it isn't really covering a TPK (total party kill) which we had some time ago. A nice chase from Brodie hitting everyone with 3 attack is painful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right, I thought at the moment that we had to advance the hourglass when changing room but it is not the case, it advances only with a surge or a capture.
Thanks!

I got no answer for a tpk!

Yesterday we used Brodie to kill a lot of rats, nice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmb
Karian wrote:
Kris wrote:
At a point during chapter 3, the hourglass came 1 space next the "End", and Ewenn (my son) said : "but daddy we cannot win", and he was right, we had 1 or 2 more rooms to explore, so there was no way of winning this chapter.

You shouldn't take this for granted. Don't know by heart this specific chapter, but I know that there are some that gives you extra time depending on the events happening. Also, it depends a lot on the die rolls, you can get times where you can clear rooms without getting any cheese on the wheel.

For the rest, I like the idea. This could help you advance with time running out. However, it isn't really covering a TPK (total party kill) which we had some time ago. A nice chase from Brodie hitting everyone with 3 attack is painful.

Right, it ain't over till it's over. Several of the achievements advance the chapter end marker as well as events in the story, though you don't know that until you get there. I don't remember if chapter 3 has anything like that or not, but never give up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe chapter 3 actually has several events which can advance the chapter-end marker (3 specifically, although one is at the very end). But I really like this idea for a variant. Seems like a TPK would really require a restart though. Not sure how the adventure continues when all the mice are captured!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you're right but we were in a really poor position nonetheless...
We won't give up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's exactly how we play... I think I mentioned it to someone else with that plays with their kids. When played as a story, "The End" is when you complete the task.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.