-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those that are not fans of the whole energy shard dynamic, was wondering how many new cards there are in RoV that aren't tied to it at all.

Enough to add a reasonably balanced set of extra cards into SoS for a bit of variety perhaps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not enough. Nearly every card either has an energize ability or talks about the treasure mechanic. You could still put the cards in a "standard" deck and use the non-energy power, but the powers aren't anything new and I think they cost more than their "plain" counterparts.

You can actually look at all the cards in the Ascension database and make a decision for yourself.

http://ascensiongame.com/game/card-database/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
For those that are not fans of the whole energy shard dynamic, was wondering how many new cards there are in RoV that aren't tied to it at all.

Enough to add a reasonably balanced set of extra cards into SoS for a bit of variety perhaps?

Not nearly enough. I actually sold my copy of Rise of Vigil due to the complete and total randomness of Energy Shards. Ruined the game and equated player skill to that of Candy Land. I'll stick with SoS + IH for my Ascension fix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brooks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Proud writer for iSlayTheDragon
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a full list of cards from Rise of Vigil that don't care about Energy or Treasure to give you a rough idea. As others have noted this is indeed a short list.

Heroes
3 x Skyrocket Drone (1 Rune, Enlightened)
3 x Reality Sculptor (3 Runes, Enlightened)
1 x Oras, the Redeemer (7 Runes, Lifebound)
1 x Oziah, Judge of Logos* (9 Runes, Enlightened)
*Oziah has an alternate Energy purchase cost

Constructs
3 x Temporal Eye (3 Runes, Enlightened)

Monsters
3 x Lagoon Troll (3 Power)
3 x Mordant Widow (5 Power)
1 x Protean Sea Slug (6 Power)
1 x Terrus, Paragon of Strife (7 Power)

Most of this stuff won't shake up SoS too much so I certainly wouldn't invest in Rise of Vigil if you had no interest in Energy. If you already had RoV I would absolutely suggest using Reality Sculptor and Oras because those are excellent cards. Also Mordant Widow and Protean Sea Slug add some nice construct hate if you like that sort of thing.

Darkness Unleashed likewise has a limited selection. Three heroes, one construct, and two monsters that don't deal with Energy/Treasure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dotKeller wrote:
Here's a full list of cards from Rise of Vigil that don't care about Energy or Treasure to give you a rough idea. As others have noted this is indeed a short list.

Also note that they are all but one Enlightened. Adding said RoV cards to a standard box might unbalance the faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.