Subject: Pledge for paint? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
I'm in two minds as to whether to pledge for the painted version of this. I used to do a lot of painting, but these days, between work and family, I don't have as much time or appetite for it and would hate to have a half-painted set (and Zombicide is ahead of this on my "if I ever get around to it" painting schedule). The pre-painted set therefore makes a lot of sense, but the only experience I've really had with pre-painted miniatures is X-Wing. There the paint jobs are okay, but there are a few mistakes (colours overlapping the wrong areas, etc) which look fine on ships but would look odd on a miniature representation of a creature.

My question is therefore whether anyone has experience with pre-painted humanoid miniatures in other games, and whether the quality shown in the picture on the Kickstarter page is what we can realistically expect:

The factory (middle row) paint looks as good as the studio (back row) paint! I'm just wary of dropping a chunk of cash and then being disappointed with the end result, given this is an unbelievably good price for that kind of quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would expect some variance from that picture. The factory that did those test paints did the BEST job they could, and had the nice detailed metal figures.

We don't know how much detail will be lost/softened in the production figures, how much cleaning/mold line removal they will do on those figures, or how the mass painting will turn out in comparison to the sample painting the factory did. I think a lot will depend on the quality of the figures the painting process is given to work with, and that quality is truly an unknown right now.

Having said that, prepainted figures are getting better and better, and if they come out even close to what the above picture shows they will be a really good deal at the kickstarter prices. I have faith Ben and Eagle Games will work hard at quality control and not accept anything bad. I pledged for the Sunmaster level based on that faith.

I am wary and have been burnt before on paying for painted figures from a kickstarter project. I'm really hoping Ben and Eagle deliver on this. I know Ben really wants to and have put up my $$$s.

Jake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frédéric Larré
France
Bonnefont
flag msg tools
My avatar overtext might have something to say...
badge
You were expecting a clever overtext, didn't you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I got "Defender of the Realm" prepainted figs, also from Eagle Games, and they are OK, I mean it's not perfect, but they're nice to play with... I'm not a very good painter, and I think I could have done a better job, but there's nothing shocking, just small details omitted. I think it could be enhanced by adding details (some small details like eyes, belt buckles, a little bit of wash or dry-brushing on some) but it's a fairly good base.

I don't know if "Rise of the Occulites" will be manufactured by the same company, but I pledged on "Sunmaster" (and I see that the "Early bird" are all gone, I'm not alone) and hope that it will be the same standards... not perfect but suitable to hit the table without shame ^^

For this game, it's really better to have different colors for players I think, as the figs have the same general shape and I'm too lazy to paint 43 minis before playing...

bye
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can tell you that after the original campaign the paint jobs we received for the prices we had arranged for the original campaign were not something we were happy with.

Both Eagle and I want these figures to represent the game and the Occulites extremely well. So I basically sent my studio paint jobs over to the factory and we got them to match them and quote us a price. This price was much higher, but we felt that we wanted to ensure they were of an excellent standard.

We have been assured that the paint jobs as seen is what we will be getting. We will be working with the factory to make sure this is the case. I don't want to have my awesome Bob Olley sculpts marred by a dodgy paint job and neither does Eagle.

I hope that helps put your mind at ease.
Cheers,
Ben.

PS. If you don't get the painted figures, each tribe will be cast in a different coloured PVC so will be differentiated as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
Thanks for the feedback all, and Ben, thanks for the extra insight, it's really helpful
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a problem Barry. Happy to help mate. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are now close up's on the KS page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks David!
I have also uploaded them here as well. Just waiting for them to be approved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Close ups! All the studio figures are on round bases, the prepaints have the smaller integral bases.

Palaudis

Hydris

Luftles

Floris

Ignis

Nimbus

Enjoy!
Cheers,
Ben.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.