Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: OP victory within one hour rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johnny Vannueten
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick question.We have been trying the OP 1 event by use of proxies but we simply can't get a full destruction victory in 1 hour. The best we came was 2 ships destroyed of a total of 6 (both running 3 ships).

I just wanted to ask if other's have found the same issue or that we are just that slow blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Johnson
msg tools
In 4 events we have had 3 games go to time. Could you post some of your builds or strategy as that may have an effect as well as rules questions and disputes that may add to time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Calverley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found extending the time by just 15 minutes allowed for an actual victory vs. a near draw.

It was more satisfying for everyone and you can still get 3 games in a night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard oliver

New Jersey
msg tools
As you become more familiar with the rules the games will speed up. We had this issue at our local store, the debate for 45 to 75 minute rounds. Not to mention the usual rules questions, but lack of familiarity with the game pieces themselves. Its a new game and will take some time to get good/great with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In 6 games I've played for the OP, only 1 game ended because of time, and I had 1 game go to time but finished that on that turn.

Remember you can setup mines and ships before time starts. Another thing is how long it takes you to decide on your movement and actions. How many turns are you getting in in that hour? referring to something like the battle report videos:

The games lasted 6 turns (going to time), 5 turns (enemy destroyed), and 8 turns (going to time AND enemy destroyed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Superb batrep! Surprised by how well those Galor-class ships did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my event, the first two games hit the time limit (in my first, if it had been called 10 seconds or so earlier, I would have won instead of lost).

The third was much more of a rout.

It depends on the players, the dice rolls, etc. If anyone ever just makes a run for it, that tends to add a little to the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Bazzano
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My LGS just ran our OP month 1 last night, and in my three games. I was wiped out to the last man before time expired. I destroyed two of my opponent's ships (Enterprise D w/ Picard and Reliant w/ Riker) and captured the station, to the loss of my Miranda w/ no crew, and still had my Enterpise D (Picard) and Galaxy class (Riker) versus his starship Enterprise (Pike) when time expired. Since I won, he was obviously running a founder fleet, trying to infiltrate the Federation. Game three saw me destroy two Galor and a Breen cruiser and capture e station without any losses, and before time expired. I finished fifth, we ran a pure random opponent matchup, and had three finish with three wins each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenn Mikos
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My OP was Saturday, and I think it pottery much depended on whether both fleets were cloaked or not. If both fleets were made up of cloaked ships, the game was going to time.

In practice rounds, I mostly played Federation and Dominion fleets, and my Klingons were mopping up by turn 3 or 4. At the event, I flew against 2 Romulan and one Klingon fleet, and all of them went to time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
9 games total at the last event I attended, with a number of them running long. My personal games ended within the time limit (including my third, which finished at 3 minutes until time), but I know every match with one of the other players ran to time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
not a single game at our event went to time. I think we might have had one get close, but the one guy in it was running a 5 ship team so his planning phases took longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Johnson
msg tools
Ender02 wrote:
not a single game at our event went to time. I think we might have had one get close, but the one guy in it was running a 5 ship team so his planning phases took longer.

I think most of the cases here is people new to the game and times will improve as more people play. The month one scenario also requires a bit more setup time and thought when moving as well so that should improve. I'll be anxious to see how month 2 goes as I feel it will be a better judge. Please keep us posted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Koziatek
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Concur on the consensus. Our first tourney, games were usually called with little having occurred. The next time around with the same people, we were about 50-50% completing. I fully expect the next round to go even faster.

The game is not that old, and for a large portion of players the tourney is their first real game. Give them a few rounds, and things will speed up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Vannueten
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thx for all the replies. We indeed had some rules discussions the first 2 runs and the 3rd run we made we were busy navigating the minefield which caused a lot of attacking through obstacles.

We have our 1st OP in about 2 weeks so I'll keep you guys posted how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Johnson
msg tools
I sent you a PM Kahless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.