Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thompson
England
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The online stores that I buy games from send me a weekly list of what's new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Kanger
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry that I offended you with a release info. I have deleted my message.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
My role model for his brains, calm demeanour and appetite for snacks!
mbmbmbmbmb
fierman wrote:
Since I don't have much spare time lately, I check the geek out once a week or so. Mainly to check up on new releases and see 'whats happening'

For people like me, it's quite hard to find out about games new on the market. I could of course check out all p500 lists, subscribe to mailinglists of my favourite publishers, check out the new sales with my favourite webstores etc etc etc.. but:

wouldn't it make sense to have an ongoing list somewhere, where new games which are actually printed and available are published continuously?

input and thoughts welcome

Given that there is no such list at the moment (at least that I am aware of), it would take a lot of effort to put together a list of released games from different publishers on a regular basis since that means that someone would have to do the legwork of checking out the individual mailing lists, P500 etc. which you (and probably a lot more people) are currently doing

Given the different frequencies which publishers release information of new games, your best bet would probably still be the individual mailing lists from each publisher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cisco Serret
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
OverText
badge
WOOF!
mbmbmbmbmb
The information is pretty much scattershot all over the place. BGG is usually the best place, thanks to the frequent geeklists about new/upcoming wargames. But I often hear about interesting new wargames from friends who email me, and I often email friends about upcoming wargames I have run across. Basically - it takes some time and persistance to find out what all the companies are up to on a month to month basis. Most companies have websites, but their sites are often not updated regularly, or often don't have many details, which for some reason often show up on bgg or people's blogs, or buried in Consimworld forum streams (well not really buried, but you do often have to click through various pages to get to any significant info or photos of a game that is in development).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
This space left intentionally blank.
badge
One last tour here on the Death Star and I can retire. What was that noise?!
mbmbmbmbmb
fierman wrote:
kanger wrote:
Take a look at PICKET DUTY from Legion wargames www.legionwargames.com

(don't forget to have your sound on )

I fail to see how your plugging is relevant to my question. But thanks anyway, you just convinced me to never buy something from legion. ever.

Over-react much, fierman?

But thanks anyway, you just convinced me to devalue your opinions on anything going forward. ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fielder
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mb
I get a list of new games every week from 2 online retailers. This is the best way for several reasons.

1. The games on the lists are immediately available to buy in my country with delivery in 24-48 hours.

2. There is no manufacturer bias.

3. The list providers have a good incentive for continuing to send me the lists, so I don't have to rely on good will (which can be in short supply even on BGG.)

4. I also get to hear about re-stocks and re-issues of games I was unable to get before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pmbrill77 wrote:
fierman wrote:
kanger wrote:
Take a look at PICKET DUTY from Legion wargames www.legionwargames.com

(don't forget to have your sound on )

I fail to see how your plugging is relevant to my question. But thanks anyway, you just convinced me to never buy something from legion. ever.

Over-react much, fierman?

But thanks anyway, you just convinced me to devalue your opinions on anything going forward. ever.

+1

Spoiler (click to reveal)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ratio wrote:
fierman wrote:
Since I don't have much spare time lately, I check the geek out once a week or so. Mainly to check up on new releases and see 'whats happening'

For people like me, it's quite hard to find out about games new on the market. I could of course check out all p500 lists, subscribe to mailinglists of my favourite publishers, check out the new sales with my favourite webstores etc etc etc.. but:

wouldn't it make sense to have an ongoing list somewhere, where new games which are actually printed and available are published continuously?

input and thoughts welcome

Given that there is no such list at the moment (at least that I am aware of), it would take a lot of effort to put together a list of released games from different publishers on a regular basis since that means that someone would have to do the legwork of checking out the individual mailing lists, P500 etc. which you (and probably a lot more people) are currently doing

Given the different frequencies which publishers release information of new games, your best bet would probably still be the individual mailing lists from each publisher.

It would work if, say, thirty people (is that how many wargame publishers there are?) would team up together, with each person responsible for posting one publisher's games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
bob_santafe wrote:

It would work if, say, thirty people (is that how many wargame publishers there are?) would team up together, with each person responsible for posting one publisher's games.

Ok. I'll try to keep an eye out for Azure Wish.
They managed to slip one by me in 2005 (going 6 years
after their last publication!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Azure Wish even have a web presence?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
They used to: http://www.blue-brain.com/azure/,
but it's gone. Not sure what that's a loss, because it NEVER
changed since I found it back in the 90's. LGG came out without
mention on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know who ran (or still runs, maybe, as it's not even clear the company doesn't still technically exist) Azure Wish? The only name I recognize is Philippe Thibault, who designed EU and I think LGG, and went on to form AGEOD. But I don't recognize any other names from other Azure Wish games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sluggonics wrote:
Does anyone know who ran (or still runs, maybe, as it's not even clear the company doesn't still technically exist) Azure Wish? The only name I recognize is Philippe Thibault, who designed EU and I think LGG, and went on to form AGEOD. But I don't recognize any other names from other Azure Wish games.

They are all hiding in fear of being force to make 2nd edition rules for their games!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The other designer of LGG, Bruno de Scorraille, was very active
in answering questions about the game. He also had a role in
EU, IIRC.

I would guess that the Didier Rouy might be a good person to contract,
simply because he managed to get the last thing published by them, and
he's probably still active on CSW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did Philippe Thibault get rich because of the EU PC franchise?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence Hung wrote:

I don't know if he's Sid Meier rich, but he did start his own company, AGEOD, later acquired by Paradox, who published the EU PC games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sluggonics wrote:
Lawrence Hung wrote:

I don't know if he's Sid Meier rich, but he did start his own company, AGEOD, later acquired by Paradox, who published the EU PC games.

I don't think the company is owned by paradox.

The more recent World War 1 Gold (also by Thibault - based VERY
closely on LGG) is marketed by Matrix Games: http://www.matrixgames.com/products/384/details/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
Sluggonics wrote:
Lawrence Hung wrote:

I don't think the company is owned by paradox.

closely on LGG) is marketed by Matrix Games: http://www.matrixgames.com/products/384/details/

I was just going off AGEOD's wikipedia entry - although reading that further indicates that after being acquired by Paradox in 2009, it looks like they were later acquired by Slitherine Group, which I think owns or is partnered with Matrix Games, and then in 2012 they all merged - Slitherine, Matrix and AGEOD.
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?27291-AGEOD-and-Sl...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:

closely on LGG)

In my continuing derailment of this thread, I found on the AGEOD forums where Thibault himself addresses the relationship between LGG and the PC version, actually releasing the english manual for the boardgame of LGG as a "preview" of what to expect in the PC game. Given the comments I've heard about the quality of that translation, I'm surprised he did this, as it seems like it could put people off of the game entirely!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sluggonics wrote:
Given the comments I've heard about the quality of that translation, I'm surprised he did this, as it seems like it could put people off of the game entirely!

Nah. If you aren't trying to actually play it out, it reads well.
Actually, most AWE stuff does, IMO. There are some funny turns of phrases,
but they add to the charm. Trying to understand it when you've got to
handle the mechanical aspects gets tougher though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A PC game based on LGG? Thanks heaven! I don't get to pay that awful price of the Boardgame anymore! Note: I didn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Michael Dorosh wrote:

Has anyone thought about talking to the BGG admin group? How hard would it be to get an application that flags games marked "wargame" and adds them to a list - even an excel spreadsheet would do - for further use? You could then populate a forum thread or a GL with the data.

THIS is pretty easy anyhow. All you need to do is advanced search
and fill in category and year. Dunno what putting it in a GL or
post would help really.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?action=search&ad...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.