Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark» Forums » Rules

Subject: Final combat + movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
Two questions about our recent games :

1. when the final combat begins, do the following remain ?
a - lingering effects
b - orders (Guard may come in handy)
c - features (like glyphs or unopened chests). If so, is the avatar disallowed to end move on a glyph ?

2. There are several mentions of getting extra movement points "even when you wouldn't get any" (e.g. Elven Boots). Can you name such an occurrence, as opposed to "when you can't spend any" ?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Merrimac wrote:
Two questions about our recent games :

1. when the final combat begins, do the following remain ?
a - lingering effects


I assume you mean "when the Avatar appears" some time on the fifth level of his keep.
Yes. Nothing says remove them.

Quote:
b - orders (Guard may come in handy)


Yes, nothing says remove them.

Quote:
c - features (like glyphs or unopened chests). If so, is the avatar disallowed to end move on a glyph ?


Yes, nothing says remove them and yes he is disallowed (avatar is still a monster).

Quote:
2. There are several mentions of getting extra movement points "even when you wouldn't get any" (e.g. Elven Boots). Can you name such an occurrence, as opposed to "when you can't spend any" ?


Declaring a Battle action, or a Ready(Attack)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
Agree with the latter point, but then we're left with the following problem, which has been brought to me by one of my opponents :

The mention of "even when you wouldn't get any", meaning "in cases when your action is other" was deemed necessary.

But other skills / items / feats speak about extra attacks / moves but don't say "even when you wouldn't get any", e.g. Koll's Mark or Hustle. Whence it should be understood as restricted to cases when you get some ? Or is it just one more case of very very clumsy writing ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Merrimac wrote:
Agree with the latter point, but then we're left with the following problem, which has been brought to me by one of my opponents :

The mention of "even when you wouldn't get any", meaning "in cases when your action is other" was deemed necessary.

But other skills / items / feats speak about extra attacks / moves but don't say "even when you wouldn't get any", e.g. Koll's Mark or Hustle. Whence it should be understood as restricted to cases when you get some ? Or is it just one more case of very very clumsy writing ?


I don't even think its clumsy. Look at some of the moronic questions (half of pg6 for example) in the FAQ. This just forestalls another inevitable question...

But anyone expecting precise and efficient rules in Descent is barking up the wrong tree. We still have to play what is written in the rule, whether or not its how we would like (unless HRing of course), but expecting it to be written in the most efficient manner possible is either someone who's never read the descent rules before or smoked a bit too much of the wrong produce.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.