8 Posts

Level 7 [Omega Protocol]» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Countermeasure Adrenaline Sump rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wartopia Wartopia
msg tools
mbmbmb
My sons and I played mission 1 again last night with me as Overseer (my usual role in our home...har har) and the boys as commandos. They're experienced, hardcore gamers ages 11 and 13. They especially love games such as Level 7 with synergistic, "stacking" abilities.

My 13-year old develop just such a synergistic strategy using the Countermeasures commando which was extremely effective. With my 11 year old's rifleman and heavy support providing a solid wall of armor and flying metal as protection and the recon guy zipping ahead to open doors and snag investigate markers, the Countermeasure guy stayed just behind the "shield wall" and deprived me of decent adrenaline levels (just like how children deprive parents of money!) :-)

Commando Countermeasure used Calm Your Mind, Pacifier, and Masker to enable other Commandos to use more of their abilities while also sucking up adrenaline before it could be transferred to me. Essentially the boys built an Adrenaline Sump System which optimized the actions of the other troops while starving the Overseer of actions.

One might argue that using the Countermeasures guy in that manner reduces Commando firepower by 25% in that situation but it doesn't since the guys more effective in shooting (eg the heavy support guy) get to transfer their adrenaline to Countermeasures once per turn...EACH! The ability to deprive the Overseer is a bonus which makes it nearly impossible for the Overseer to spawn enemies and attack or attack and use dashboard special abilities.

It's an excellent game and we're hooked, for now. So far its most attractive feature is the need to use all of your pieces synergistically, whether Overseer or Commando. It's a lot like a puzzle. At the moment our only concern is balance. It seems really hard for the Overseer to win, but we've only played mission 1 a few times. Moving on to mission 2 tonight and Wednesday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Agapow
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Ah, my players also did the adrenaline-sucking trick. It's a neat one. Can't think of a good counter-measure yet, but hitting the countermeasure Commando with some melee attacks might be useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celia Engle
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
outlier wrote:
Ah, my players also did the adrenaline-sucking trick. It's a neat one. Can't think of a good counter-measure yet, but hitting the countermeasure Commando with some melee attacks might be useful.

My counter was generally to put pressure on the countermeasure - he gets a lot warier about taking adrenaline from others if he's drawing fire. One red to burn off his own is not much, and one red for everyone can still come up blank. My countermeasure also spent a lot of time in Concentrating, making him reliant on Lead for movement.

When they replaced Recon with Support, though, things got scary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CD F
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
I'm running into this problem as well. Putting pressure on Counter Measure is nearly impossible when the OS is only getting 5 to 8 adrenaline a round. That combined with the CM's 4/4 defense also makes it nearly impossible to hit him. At one point I had 5 clones attacking him in one round and it did zero damage. Zero. Simply not enough dice to pose a threat. This game is broken and should have been play tested more before release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One anecdotal experience broken game.

Perhaps the easiest "fix" would be to disallow these kits, or even the CM all together. I've played multiple times against the CM and have notwant had these problems yet. After 8 or so games (all as Overseer), I'm still loving it...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maros Miscik
Slovakia
flag msg tools
I cant say I am an experienced player since I got to play just a couple of games, but i get that the Overseer should not expect to mangle all the commandos in the first couple of turns.

In my opinion, until the crisis point is triggered, Overseer should attempt to slow down and harass the commandos, but in no way launch some great attempting attacks, only if he really has enough forces on the map. He should do his best to hamper the commandos and slowly gather forces around the vents and rooms, deffinitely cause 3 cave-ins to slow down their movement.
If I see some mistake on the part of the commandos like if they used up all their adrenaline(+red die on meele, no interrupts etc.) i can then strike and make some mess but when I attack, I do not go for the highest price, or the strongest commando. I attack the guy with the lowest defence, hoping to cause most wounds which will force the commandos to spend extra time in future turns for healing. Rogue Clones can be activated with +1 adrenaline to allow them to move through enemy figures, so that helps get past the "wall of steel"

I am sure there is much more to the Overseer than to the Commandos, since they are "restricted" to their objectives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WARNER AIREY
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What? No damage from being swarmed by clones? (ain't broken)
Attacking with 5 clones, and did zero damage? I think your CM was very lucky. Once I start getting multiple clones attacking a commando, a lot of hits are scored. 5 attacks will commonly do 2 damage, against melee defence of 4. 3 dice for the first attack. 4 black dice for the others. The results are surprisingly damaging. Even more deadly if its after the Crisis Point - 5 Black Dice!

Do that a couple of turns in a row, and the commando's are spending all their adrenaline on healing and assisting with med packs.

The more I play, the better the Overseer gets. My early games, the commando's cut through the enemies like a hot knife. But now, even on Mission 1, the commando's are lucky to get out alive - and sometimes don't survive at all!

Also, I'm having a lot of success with NOT using the dashboard abilities. After multiple spawns, then the Overseer uses adrenaline only for move/attack with clones. For example, a Cave In is a waste of resources, compared with assaulting with 10 clones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trader Joe
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Uh, one? Well tally me and all my friends up for a few more anecdotal experiences of how impossible it is even to affect the players if they are sumping their adrenalin. And probably add most the rest of these posters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.