Popular Tags: [View All]
Wennepen Again
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading what this game is all about, I can't help but have two thoughts:
1. This sounds pretty cool
2. Somehow it kind of sounds like Mage Wars.

Can anyone tell me if there actually is any resemblance to Mage Wars and if not, what makes this game different?

Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Murmak
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
What made you think that? Besides both games having 2 player mode, they have pretty much nothing in common
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From my understanding of both, virtually zero resemblance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both games a lot.

You are right in that players play mages and are summoning creatures, but thats about it.

In MW, you summon creatures that then move around on the board and fight. It's a tactical combat game. The objective is to kill the enemy mage.

In TK, you are arranging pieces into patterns in order to play cards, and you have specific objectives, which get you victory points.

If you want to know more about Tash-Kalar, have a read through the sneak preview threads. That's pretty much most of the rules covered. It's one of the simpler games to teach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shaw
United Kingdom
Edington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
...It's one of the simpler games to teach.

...I like the sound of that. I think I'll keep an eye on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clemens kremer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It reminds me of 'The stars are right' (I think SJ games picked this up? The German version is called 'Die Sterne stehen richtig')... I am quite interested in this game and will pick it up if I manage to go to Essen this year...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tinwë
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Donkeys!! ^^
mbmbmbmbmb
That was exactly my though when I saw Tash-Kalar at first. I found the stars are right too slow, too random and very frustrating because of the difficulty of planning anything. I didn't enjoy it. Maybe it's just that it's not a game for me. Anyways, after reading the sneak previews I'm now convinced that the two games will play very differently. True, in both you have to reproduce patterns, but in Tash-Kalar you are not at the mercy of the stars that change continuously, you have real control on the patterns that form, and you can actually plan a strategy and follow it, bringing a quick end of the game. Well that's the impression I got from the Sneak Previews, I'll have to wait another three weeks to know whether this impression turns out to be correct!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Noe
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Love live the Empress!
badge
For the Motherland!
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I thought this looked more like Catalyst's The Duke than anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alwin Derijck
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ckremer2 wrote:
It reminds me of 'The stars are right' (I think SJ games picked this up? The German version is called 'Die Sterne stehen richtig')... I am quite interested in this game and will pick it up if I manage to go to Essen this year...

You are absolutely right.

This seems an intricate spin on "Die Sterne stehen richtig".

Very interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.