Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Risk Legacy» Forums » General

Subject: Simple Question - Is the Risk just in name or is it a copy with retheming? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Scheele
Germany
L√ľneburg
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

I'm thinking about getting this game because I heard a few mysterious things about it and want to find out myself.

My only problem is that I dislike the original Risk with a passion. I really love strategy games but Risk always grabbed me as boring as everything always just came down to dicechucking, and the gods of luck hate me when dice are involved.

Now, the only thing I want to know: If I dislike battles where random chance can mean everything, will I still have fun with this game?

I'm all for innovative design and so far this seems like innovation all right. Also, I heard people get angry over this game, which my group loves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It *is* Risk. But, with how the game is set up and how it builds upon itsself (I have played 3-4 games) it is intriguing enough to play. I'm not a fan of vanilla Risk at all and this version is cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Basic combat and movement are identical to old school Risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Makis
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The earlier games have a much more "Risk" feel to them, but as you progress and the game begins evolving, it changes to make things more interesting. While this is Risk at heart, it is the most fun I've ever had playing Risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat as David, and from what I understand:

If you can stomach risk (you don't have to like risk, just be able to tolerate it), risk legacy is very good and well worth playing.

If you think risk is terrible, as I do, risk legacy is still risk, and best avoided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is 100% Risk at its core + various added elements many from other versions of Risk through the years. Essentially these additional rules are added one at a time in future games depending on how your group plays through about 15 games.

1) from the start instead of eliminating everyone like old school Risk, you play to 4 points. Points are earned through taking opponent bases or by saving up cards.
2) Each player plays as a faction with a special ability.
3) things will change over time, and those changes are permanent in your version of the game. For example before your first game each player picks a faction. Each faction has two possible special powers and the each player chooses which one they want for the faction. From that game onward that faction will always have that ability... The other ability is ripped up and thrown away. So no matter who plays with that faction in future games that faction will always have that ability.

As you play more games on this board more permanent changes will happen including changes to the board making some areas of the world more desirable, or easier to take in battles, or more difficult to capture.

Players will get to name cities, and even continents.

However is is still Risk. You will still chuck lots of dice and build up armies generally in the same way on generally the same map (including Australia)

If you love the Legacy idea but loathe Risk, this is not the game for you. There are other games coming out in the next few years with the legacy concept, whether it is something like Seafall that was just announced from the designer of Risk Legacy, or things like the Pathfinder Card game which has a similar campaign style concept but done in a different way. There will be more "legacy" games that are not Risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
David, this is a fair question. I love Risk Legacy but refuse to play Risk.

The community was asked this question over a year ago--below was my response then and it is still my response now:

I've played Risk. This game is not Risk.

It is a swoop-across-your-numbered-Earth-and-blast-your-opponent soccer match. It is a how-the-heck-did-you-get-so-strong boxing ring. It is an essay on total war and a poem about consequences. It is a mirror for your decision-making skills and a window on your opponent's soul. It is a vehicle for luck and a transport for aggression. It is Herodotus, Milton, and Melville, their stories, all rolled up in a 90-minute mosh-pit and served with extra revenge sauce. It is the press of a sticker, the rip of a card, the unbridled shouts, calls, and whoops for the third unholy missile launched in what was just a moment ago a simple combat dice roll: "Do it! DO IT!!!"

(Also, our first Earth is on hold. So this holiday season my wife and I will play a second copy. We hope to play fifteen games in fifteen nights, epic husband vs. wife!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Scheele
Germany
L√ľneburg
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... There seem to be many different opinions.

I really like the concept and find it highly interesting...

Maybe I'll have a go at it.. If I have the money to spare some day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
great game, it's soooo much better than regular risk
I can't stand playing the regular version
but I love this game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the dare978devil
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting discussion. I swore after my last original RISK game about 5 years or so ago, it would be my last. I actually won using the traditional strategy, take out weakest opponent with most cards, cash, do it again, cash, etc. etc. But it was boring as sin. I was only playing it because the people to whose house I was invited refused to play anything else.

As a result, I have avoided Risk Legacy like the plague. I couldn't even imagine getting through 15 games of it, let alone 1. Also, I could see how someone could have advantages start to pile up for them, making it increasingly difficult to beat them. Is it actually possible to be down 8 games to 1 and come back to beat them to 15? Or would it be a matter of needing to roll 77 6's in order to bridge the gap?

Other than actually playing Risk, I find the whole idea intriguing. Permanent rule changes, options to open only when certain game conditions are met, factions with differing powers, etc. It all sounds great, I just wish the base game was anything but Risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
scout13 wrote:
great game, it's soooo much better than regular risk
I can't stand playing the regular version
but I love this game
Yeah, I've never liked vanilla Risk.

I never really liked the series until I played Risk 2210. Now THAT is a game I love. So much more strategic than vanilla.

Risk Legacy continues in that sort of direction. It's much more interesting than vanilla.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I loathe Risk with a passion that few minds can comprehend. I think it's a TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE game.

Risk Legacy is AWESOME. And yet, it's still Risk!

It's Risk, fixed, and that doesn't even come close to describing what's happened.

Get it. Get it now

Eco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.