Subject: There was a dinosaur on my front step yesterday afternoon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a Telephonebookesaurus, to be exact.

A combined version of the "yellow pages" and the "white pages" or, as the latter could also be called, "people who still have a landline at home that isn't unlisted".
This year's version of the book is approximately 1/3 the size of last year's book but, back when telephonebookesauruses ran in large packs, our local species was about 5x larger than yesterday's discovery.

We humans are still chopping down trees to make paper and using that paper to produce an antiquated system of personal information collection, all in the name of advertising dollars. If there was ever a poor investment in advertising, by the way...
The pages of our last book never witnessed daylight or felt air across its ink, and this year's model is going straight into the recycling box.

Where is the meteor, to wipe out these relics of the past once and for all, when you need one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmb
We have an "opt-out" system for phone book deliveries. Our local one must have been delivered recently, because I got a little card in the letter box thanking me for telling them I didn't want one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A Hike!
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:

Where is the meteor, to wipe out these relics of the past once and for all, when you need one?

Ironically, if a big enough meteor hit and wiped out a lot, then you just might need one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
These books are created because businesses have been enticed to advertise in them. Probably some of them have opted for a standard yearly payment or something, so as long as the publisher produces those (very cheap to make) books, he receives money. Even if nobody wants them and the people who do pay probably don't even realize that they are doing it.

I think I opted out once, because I haven't seen them in years. Either that, or every time I find one on my front porch I immediately dumped them in the trash, thinking that I really should opt out and then forgetting about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmb
Opt out of phone books

Canada
http://optout.ypg.com/

Australia
https://www.directoryselect.com.au/action/home

USA
https://www.yellowpagesoptout.com/

UK
Apparently your providers are really determined to provide, and don't have web opt-outs. You need to make written requests to 3 different organisations, or there's a 3rd party website that will do it for you
http://www.junkbuster.org.uk/

Yes, in all cases you will need to submit your address details (otherwise how would they know which address not to deliver to). I can personally vouch for the Australian one, I registered with them several years ago and have been phone book free - you need to renew it every 3 years though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't remember the last time I looked at a phone book. It is a good tool for smashing spiders, however, so there is some utility
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
I can't remember the last time I looked at a phone book. It is a good tool for smashing spiders, however, so there is some utility

And propping up a niece or nephew at the dining room table, during holiday meals. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
My problem is we get three different ones. We live 2 blocks into Raytown from Kansas City so we get the Raytown, Kansas City and for some reason Independence yellow pages. Just opted out of all of them. Thanks for posting the link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Come to think of it I've never received white pages phone books since I started living on my own. It might be because I don't have a landline, yet I still get the yellow pages. Interesting...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
I hung one in the toilet once, but they are insufficiently absorbent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Phone books are indispensable in my office. We use them to raise monitors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McMurray
United States
Jamestown
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cringing Dragon wrote:
Opt out of phone books

USA
https://www.yellowpagesoptout.com/

Thank you so much for this! They have always delivered multiple books to our driveway. Sometimes we get as many as 4 at one time, and they are always stacked in such a way that I either have to drive over them or get out of my car on the main road to pull in. I have always just dumped them into the recycling bin on the way into the house. Hopefully, this will keep them from cluttering up our driveway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
To me, a perfect storm would be one which rains down Reddi-Wip and cherries.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
My problem is we get three different ones. We live 2 blocks into Raytown from Kansas City so we get the Raytown, Kansas City and for some reason Independence yellow pages. Just opted out of all of them. Thanks for posting the link.

We have the same problem. We officially live in KC, MO, where I-35 crosses Missouri state highway 1, but our kids attend North Kansas City schools (Thank God!). We get at least three sets of yellow/white pages every year: Metro KC, Clay County, and Platte County. We actually keep a copy of each one in the car (along with area maps) so we can look up addresses while driving around town, since neither my wife nor I own a smartphone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.