Subject: UK/European release rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
Will this game ever get a UK or European release? Is it on the boat already?

Anyone know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that this game has to be ordered directly from GameSalute. Possibly, your FLGS may have ordered a batch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bbhalla wrote:
I believe that this game has to be ordered directly from GameSalute. Possibly, your FLGS may have ordered a batch.

So they are not selling to distributors?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, just checked the cost for buying direct - $60 for the game and cheapest shipping option is another $65 - ha, ha, ha, ha - so that's not going to happen.

The only way for games to remain sensibly priced for international sales is to bulk surface ship them. Either one retailer per country has to take on that role for an exclusive deal (which is not desperately great for the final price to the customer) or they have to sell into distribution.

If Gamesalute aren't going to do this they are going to be largely a US-market only company. If that's the case I hope they don't get the rights to any really good games.

Hopefully they will sell into distribution - at least for the international market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin (Hairy) Hatfield
United Kingdom
Little Kingshill
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will they be around at Essen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think GameSalute's idea is to give sales to retailers. They act as the distributor, rather than going through regular channels. If you want the game, I think you need to place an order with them and have it shipped to a FLGS. That way, the store absorbs the cost of shipping and you end up buying for MSRP.

I sent an email to GameSalute a while back asking if there were any other stipulations that a local store had to follow in order to sell GameSalute games but they never replied. I'd love for my local store to sell their games but don't want them to have to commit to bulk quantities, fixed pricing, or anything like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bbhalla wrote:
I think GameSalute's idea is to give sales to retailers. They act as the distributor, rather than going through regular channels. If you want the game, I think you need to place an order with them and have it shipped to a FLGS. That way, the store absorbs the cost of shipping and you end up buying for MSRP.

At present there would appear to be no local game stores signed up in the UK - so that is a non-starter. It also looks like GameSalute only deal with bricks and mortar stores, which rules out the etailers I mostly buy from being able to get the game.

Anyway, the idea of a retailer acting as the distributer, without getting the kind of discount that a distributor would normally buy at, would be a big risk for an individual retailer to take, and certainly at the kind of volumes they would have to order in, to be able to get good bulk-shipping rates.

In terms of international sales this model looks flawed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StephenAvery wrote:
I think I heard that they will be at Essen adjacent to the Queen booth. Sorry it is so hard to get over there.

Unfortunately I'm not going to be at Essen this year, and although I know a couple of people who are they are collecting a few things for me already so I don't want to impose any more.

I can sort of understand the GameSalute policy in terms of only dealing with direct sales and to bricks-and-mortar stores in the US - it gives them greater margins than selling into distribution and allows them to defend their MRSP, as well as giving b&m stores a chance. However for international sales, where you need bulk surface shipping for the games to end up reasonably priced, you need to sell into distribution as they are the only ones who can order the volume.

They could follow the GMT model where GMT subsidise international shipping on direct sales - this still nets them more money per copy sold than having to discount to sell to a distributor.

As far as 'Nothing Personal' is concerned I guess I'll just have to stick with my Capo version that I made for play-testing.

I unfortunately see that Game Salute is also behind 'Legends of the American Frontier' which I was also interested in - I guess that's another one we won't see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Key West
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
domus_ludorum wrote:
They could follow the GMT model where GMT subsidise international shipping on direct sales - this still nets them more money per copy sold than having to discount to sell to a distributor.

As far as 'Nothing Personal' is concerned I guess I'll just have to stick with my Capo version that I made for play-testing.

I unfortunately see that Game Salute is also behind 'Legends of the American Frontier' which I was also interested in - I guess that's another one we won't see.

Surely there are TDT listeners attending the Spiel in Essen. Just ask around in the forums if someone will pick up a copy for you. :) I'm sure someone will!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hunt
England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Angry Imp Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
domus_ludorum wrote:
bbhalla wrote:

At present there would appear to be no local game stores signed up in the UK - so that is a non-starter. It also looks like GameSalute only deal with bricks and mortar stores, which rules out the etailers I mostly buy from being able to get the game.

Anyway, the idea of a retailer acting as the distributer, without getting the kind of discount that a distributor would normally buy at, would be a big risk for an individual retailer to take, and certainly at the kind of volumes they would have to order in, to be able to get good bulk-shipping rates.

In terms of international sales this model looks flawed.

We would love to stock it, but as you say, without a UK distributor it becomes economically un-viable without a discount up front. To get stuff over here from the US incurs not just a massive shipping bill, but also a massive import VAT bill too. We can just about make it viable with Victory Point Games (who also do not have a UK distributor) as they offer a wholesale discount to retailers but buying retail to sell over here is a non starter.

Shame - the game looks good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Hyyryläinen
Finland
Kotka
flag msg tools
mb
I just ordered one from Belgium, http://www.boardgameshop.eu/. Postage to Finland was 18€. It seems they still have it in stock if anyone is interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.