Subject: Bill O'Riley, talking sense? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So he was on the Daily show last night. He said two things that surprised me.

1)mandatory firearm registrations

2)Allow Obamacare to go forward, allow a one year waiver for people who do not wish to sign up a waiver for one year.

The first was surprising to hear from anyone on the right, probably because those aren't the voices who get microphones.

The second seems(at first blush) a good compramise position. It has the look of curbing 'big government' while allowing people to get Healthcare andthe program to go through growing pains. I don't think it would have a chance in the house though, because it is a path to full implimentation going forward and too many R are invested too deeply politically and financially in it never getting a chance.

However it *is* a losing fight for the R. signups are happening. In two weeks tell X million people you are defunding their healthcare coverage. That's not something you spin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
O'Reilly tends to make sense when he is talking to Stewart. Have you seen their debate last year?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon Mueller wrote:
O'Reilly tends to make sense when he is talking to Stewart. Have you seen their debate last year?

Yeah, it almost makes you think that he isn't really an asshat, he just plays one on his show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Shushnik wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
So he was on the Daily show last night. He said two things that surprised me.

1)mandatory firearm registrations

2)Allow Obamacare to go forward, allow a one year waiver for people who do not wish to sign up a waiver for one year.

The first was surprising to hear from anyone on the right, probably because those aren't the voices who get microphones.

The second seems(at first blush) a good compramise position. It has the look of curbing 'big government' while allowing people to get Healthcare andthe program to go through growing pains. I don't think it would have a chance in the house though, because it is a path to full implimentation going forward and too many R are invested too deeply politically and financially in it never getting a chance.

However it *is* a losing fight for the R. signups are happening. In two weeks tell X million people you are defunding their healthcare coverage. That's not something you spin.

Anyone can waiver the ACA at any time. Nobody's going to prison if they don't have health care.

You must be forgetting about the individual mandate. They didn't name it the "individual suggestion" after all.

If you don't buy this 10 dollar insurance, I'll fine you 1 dollar. It's a super effective strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Allowing Obamacare would e the best tactic for the GOP, if they are right and it will be a disaster. It will guarantee then congress and the presidency. They can then repeal it wholesale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You drive a car, mandatory insurance. You drive a body, mandatory insurance. Same reasoning. Your actions/inactions can end up costing others more money.

If the R who want to defund the ACA were fiscally conservative they would repeal the law rdquiring medical aid to those in need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
You drive a car, mandatory insurance. You drive a body, mandatory insurance. Same reasoning. Your actions/inactions can end up costing others more money.

If the R who want to defund the ACA were fiscally conservative they would repeal the law rdquiring medical aid to those in need.

I get that you have no empathy for the people who are being compelled to purchase insurance against their will, but even you must be able to see that mandatory liability insurance for your vehicle is far different than what Obamacare requires of people.
Yes, it costs the US tax payer around $7,000 per capita to support 'private' healthcare. How much do car accidents cost the tax payer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

I get that you have no empathy for the people who are being compelled to purchase insurance against their will, but even you must be able to see that mandatory liability insurance for your vehicle is far different than what Obamacare requires of people.
Yes, it costs the US tax payer around $7,000 per capita to support 'private' healthcare. How much do car accidents cost the tax payer?

Are you being intentionally wrong here or was that just an accident?
OK, so health care in the US is not ;private, but is provided by the state?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

Are you being intentionally wrong here or was that just an accident?
OK, so health care in the US is not ;private, but is provided by the state?

Over half of spending on health care in this country comes from the Federal government and state government, yes.
Yes? and where does it go, the state run hospitals or private ones (for example)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
But if you want the government to tell you want to do with your body, then go ahead and support Obamacare. Don't be surprised when you start getting fined for your bad habits.

Wait, I thought you were a fan of the Government telling people what they can/cannot do with their bodies? Or does that only apply to women?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Simon Mueller wrote:

Yeah, it almost makes you think that he isn't really an asshat, he just plays one on his show.

It's amazing how different people can be when they have to play by the rules of others instead of setting the rules and making others play by their rules. Why do you think you never see Hannity or Limbaugh doing cameos on shows like this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
But if you want the government to tell you want to do with your body, then go ahead and support Obamacare. Don't be surprised when you start getting fined for your bad habits.

Wait, I thought you were a fan of the Government telling people what they can/cannot do with their bodies? Or does that only apply to women?

Knew something like this was coming. Just a question of who it would be and how it would be phrased.

Drew, when you played tee-ball as a kid, you were the tee, weren't you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RoverGuy wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

Ten dollars? Are you a government employee or something?

Probably a union worker. Oh wait most, unions are exempt or got a waiver from ACA...

I'm a union worker. This is patently untrue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.