United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just picked this up at my F(not so)LGS and played it Sunday. We really enjoyed the fusion mechanic and we liked being able to draw up to our max hand size. I was really impressed with the game sequencing as well - the turn structure is very well designed. The one issue we had was that we played for probably two and a half hours and only moved the entropy marker down two notches. I guess you could say we were playing extra nice (discarding super novas and such) but it seemed like we were all able to just get our elements to an ideal situation where we'd never lose a star to being unable to fusion. The only time it happened, I did it on purpose so I could replace it with a neutron star the next create phase. We had upwards of 20+ VP (except the person who didn't draw a star to start the game or the first three turns) and ran out of resources because we had MAD essence and could buy out the stockpile.

Should we have been more aggressive with our destruction? Should we have been taking more resources from stars at the end of the fusion phase? Are there any common mistakes people make that would lead to this game state?

I really love the theme and some of the mechanics feel really new but this thing is due to be a six hour marathon if we continue to play it this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the extended reply, William. I've been catching up on reviews since my post. I figured the game relied on that mentality but I wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was missing. I do wish star death was a little more of an inevitability rather than something that could be done constantly if handled correctly (in the case of a more friendly game).

Perhaps a house rule dictating the age of a star would speed things along. Get some "age counters" and place them on a star based on the type of star it is. Older stars get fewer counters. Each time you fusion, take a counter off that star. When its out of counters, you can no longer fusion it, its destroyed in the next account phase.

Then again, I've only played it once and my rule is don't house rule before about 8-10 plays! We'll keep at it. Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Villegas
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
We make games we like to play and think you will like them too
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you ran into the "nice" game scenario that lasts for eons, literally.

The core attack mechanic that some have expressed concern over is a core necessity in the game to move it along, as you discovered.

I think you will find the 3, 4 and 5 player varieties very fair in how the leaders are kept in check.

I am also very excited that the expansions we have planned will emphasize more of the resource constraints that will speed the game along in a more organic way. We are also exploring publishing house rule suggestions we received, from limiting each architect to only a single attack action each eon (not counting his own stars) and limiting the number of elements a star can hold on the card.

As of now, though, the game was not designed with that intent. I echo Mr. Atkinson in saying that the coop rules are HARD but they are rewarding if you actually win. I only beat the game 20% of the time, but my heart races every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gmdave wrote:
Yes, you ran into the "nice" game scenario that lasts for eons, literally.

The core attack mechanic that some have expressed concern over is a core necessity in the game to move it along, as you discovered.

I think you will find the 3, 4 and 5 player varieties very fair in how the leaders are kept in check.

I am also very excited that the expansions we have planned will emphasize more of the resource constraints that will speed the game along in a more organic way. We are also exploring publishing house rule suggestions we received, from limiting each architect to only a single attack action each eon (not counting his own stars) and limiting the number of elements a star can hold on the card.

As of now, though, the game was not designed with that intent. I echo Mr. Atkinson in saying that the coop rules are HARD but they are rewarding if you actually win. I only beat the game 20% of the time, but my heart races every time.

Thanks for the response Dave. We did really enjoy it. We'll definitely plan to be more aggressive next game. Glad to see you and the team are planning into the future. The concept is excellent and the theme feels unique (at least among the games in my library). I bought it at Madness Games in Plano, chiefly by hearing you guys talk about it on the podcast! Or not hear...because I don't...listen...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.