Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got a copy of Royal Bonus (Thanks, Proto!). Reading through the rules for the new races and special powers, these are the questions that occur to me, and the answers that I believe they have. Feel free to comment or disagree:

Fawns:

- Q: What if you run out of race tokens, either for the Fawns or their victims?
A: Just as with Skeletons, "If there are no more tokens in the storage tray, you do not receive any additional tokens." The Fawns could be reworded the following way, similar to the Pygmies or Homunculi:
Quote:
During Troop Redeployment, collect 1 new race token for each active region you conquered this turn (up to the number of Fawns left). Your victims also receive 1 new Race token for each of their regions you conquered (if any left).

- I find it interesting that the Fawns tie the Sorcerers for having the most race tokens, 18. Only Skeletons have more, 20.

Igors:

- Can Igors be used in the same game with Necromancer Island, since both collect conquered race tokens?
A: No.
OR
A: Yes. Conquered tokens are first collected by the Igors, and pass from them to the Necromancer. (Or vice versa.)
[I could see it either way.]

Shrubmen:

No questions.

Aquatic:

No questions.

Behemoth:

- Q: How do I use Behemoths to attack?
A: You place a Behemoth stack in a region with at least one race token. The stack is left there until the redeployment phase.

- Q: How do I use Behemoths when I first enter the board?
A: You do not have any Behemoths at first, until you conquer a Swamp region.

- Q: Can I use a Behemoth to help conquer a Swamp region?
A: Only if you already occupy at least one other Swamp region. The Swamp you are trying to conquer does not add to the Behemoths until after the conquest.

- Q: Can both Behemoths be in the same region? If so, do I need 1 or 2 race tokens there as well?
A: Both Behemoth stacks can be in the same region, and only 1 race token is needed to accompany them.

- Q: Can I place Behemoths in non-Swamp regions?
A: Yes, for either conquest or redeployment.

- Q: Behemoth tokens look the same on both sides. Do Behemoths stick around during Decline?
A: No. The rules would have said so otherwise. Also, the Behemoth power badge is blank on its reverse, showing that it is discarded in Decline.

- Q: What if I occupy more than 6 Swamp regions?
A: 6 is the maximum strength each Behemoth can be, even if you could find and occupy more than 6 Swamp regions.

Fireball:

- Q: Do I have to use Fireball tokens immediately?
A: No, you can save them for later turns.

- Q: There are only 4 Fireball tokens. What if I occupy more than 4 Magic regions?
A: You still only get 4 Fireball tokens, even if you occupy more than 4 Magic regions, or your saved Fireballs plus your current Magic regions is more than 4.

- Q: Can I reuse Fireball tokens?
A: Yes. It might be better worded "They are set aside once used, but may be collected again."
[Note: I am going by what others have said about the iOS version. Based on the wording I would have judged differently.]

- Q: Can I use only Fireballs to conquer a Region, and move a race token there during Redeployment?
A: No. You must have at least one race token in the region when you conquer it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a few (what I think are) helpful links to discussions that explore some of the questions & answers you've raised here.

I can see your post turning into a pinned thread at some point--sort of an FAQ--so in time, these threads may settle to the bottom of the forum somewhere. This way they are still easily accessible in one place. I hope you don't mind.

> Fauns vs. Pygmies (Order of Operations)

> Fireball (On the Recycling of Tokens)

> Behemoths (Male, Female, and Calculated Value)

Barliman wrote:
I find it interesting that the Fawns tie the Sorcerers for having the most race tokens, 18. Only Skeletons have more, 20.

This is the one thing I wanted to directly comment on. It is especially interesting because so far I haven't seen anyone use them to actually increase their army size. People are loath to give other players back their defeated tokens, so much so that they fail to actually explore the full potential of their own race. Maybe players use it a time or two, but that's it...and there are 18 of them just waiting to be used... It's odd that I've only seen them used as a conflict-avoidance race or a decline race predator.

I tried it the other day, and I had success using them against races who were obviously about to go in decline (so that extra token just caused some brief anxiety about whether to flip after all--and then they went away), and those who had all of their tokens on the board anyway. I was Pillaging Fauns, so I always had reason to attack live races, after a few turns I had almost all of my guys on the board, and people were avoiding me (but not my declined race, alas.) Ransacking Fauns would be a totally wicked juggernaut of a combo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
Barliman wrote:
Behemoth:
- Q: Can both Behemoths be in the same region? If so, do I need 1 or 2 race tokens there as well?
A: Both Behemoth stacks can be in the same region, and only 1 race token is needed to accompany them.

I believe the answer should be "No", based on the following line in the rules:
Quote:
These 2 stacks can never be split or mixed.

An putting them in the same region is the same a mixing them.

Anybody know how the ipad versions plays behemoth?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
l-hansen wrote:
Barliman wrote:
Behemoth:

I believe the answer should be "No", based on the following line in the rules:
Quote:

An putting them in the same region is the same a mixing them.

That's interesting, since I see that some other person thought that they must be together since putting the two stacks in different regions would be splitting them.

I'm sure that the quoted statement means that all the blue Behemoth tokens must stay together in one stack -- and the same for all the pink tokens -- and that there can be nothing else in either stack. It doesn't mean that the stacks cannot be in the same region.

(And thanks for the links, Danny.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Split: Meaning you can't have multiple Blue stacks or multiple Pink stacks. Just 1 of each.
Mixed: No stacks with Pink & Blue in the same stack--your maximum power in either Behemoth is capped at 6, it would seem--even if your map and your opponents allowed you to control more than 6 swamp regions.

l-hansen wrote:

Yes. As mentioned above (and as described here and more succinctly here).

Barliman wrote:

I'm sure that the quoted statement means that all the blue Behemoth tokens must stay together in one stack -- and the same for all the pink tokens -- and that there can be nothing else in either stack. It doesn't mean that the stacks cannot be in the same region.

(And thanks for the links, Danny.)

Yup, Pink & Blue. Separate, but they can work together. (Just no purple-making!)
And you're welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
It took a while for my players and I to figure out how things work when Igors (or the Necromancer) are in play alongside Fauns (or Pygmies). We decided that, if the Fauns conquer a region controlled by an active race, the token that would be lost to the tray is collected by the Igors. Then, when the Fauns' ability resolves at the end of the turn, it looks to the tray to see if there are tokens to give to the victimized player. It wasn't clear initially that it is looking to the tray for this, based on the wording of the Fauns' ability, but this is the solution that made sense.

I just wanted to point out that it might be a good thing to add to the first post, here.

EDIT: it appears I may be wrong about this. The question about the interaction between Fauns and Igors shows up in the thread on Faun redeployment. The user rasmussen81 claims that Igors get random tokens as placeholders if the tokens they had collected are needed back (for Fauns, Pygmies, Skeletons, Sorcerors or Mudmen for example). Given his later comments in the thread, though, I can't tell if he's genuinely trying to be helpful. As I haven't read rulings for Necromancer Island, I don't know if this "placeholder tokens" thing is something that's been done before but it's definitely not written on the Royal Bonus rules for the Igors. Can someone with the iOS app confirm how things work with Fauns and Igors? Has this type of interaction been covered with rules or errata for Necromancer Island?

Also: Is there an official ruling on how Igors interact with the Necromancer when playing that scenario?

Also: I'm curious to know if the iOS app allows Elves to grow when losing regions to Fauns. I know the Royal Bonus rules, as written, say that they should but I'm just curious if it is implemented that way in the iOS app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an official ruling on at least part of the mess you've discovered with the whole Pygmies/Fauns/Igors intersection. I just can't find it right now. If I do, I'll try to remember to come back here with a link. For now, we've got some other options:
> You can watch the way it works in the new official Small World App.
> You can check out this thread at DOW where we have some official input. Note that seems to break with how this scenario was handled when it was the Necromancer in question instead of the Igors. Also it conflicts with the workings of the new App, in my experience so far.
Rasmussen was in on that thread as well, and I'm sure it's what he's referring to. He is VERY helpful and genuine; you can count on that.

AS for NI, it really hasn't ever been 100% clarified, but this thread at DOW is the closest I've ever seen it come to closure.

The official ruling on Igors & the Necromancer is that they are mutually exclusive, or in SW speak: "a broken combination".

In the SW2 App, the Elves do indeed gain tokens when conquered by the Fauns, as indicated on the rules sheet that came in the new RBE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about sorcerers? Can they use their power on a single race token while that race token is in the same region as one or two Behemoths?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DreamStorm wrote:
What about sorcerers? Can they use their power on a single race token while that race token is in the same region as one or two Behemoths?

My instincts say no. From memory, I believe behemoths count as race tokens, so they should protect you from sorcerers the same way bivouacking does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
many of these questions seem really, really picky, and clearly answered by the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.