Derek M
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Really enjoying the game so far, but a few questions have come up.

1) "Racketeer: The Racketeer may switch one Influence marker on the board with any other Influence marker."

BOTH markers need to be on the board, correct? You cannot swap one marker on the board with one from a player's supply, can you?

2)Negotiation "Players CANNOT trade Influence markers between Gangsters"

Can you 'give' influence on the same gangster? Say I have 3 influence on the 2nd guy, and another player has 2. Can I negotiate giving him one of 'my' influence on the 2nd guy so that he has 3 and then I go to 2?

3)Does the blackmail token come into play at all when a 'boss' is deciding who to promote to an empty position? Can the blackmailer influence that decision, or does blackmail strictly work on Character or Role actions?

4)If an influence card allows you to influence two different types of gangsters, and there is a gangster on the board who has symbols for both, can you use all influence on the game gangster?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
webdanzer wrote:

BOTH markers need to be on the board, correct? You cannot swap one marker on the board with one from a player's supply, can you?

That is correct.

Quote:
Can you 'give' influence on the same gangster? Say I have 3 influence on the 2nd guy, and another player has 2. Can I negotiate giving him one of 'my' influence on the 2nd guy so that he has 3 and then I go to 2?

No, you cannot. Technically, giving is simply trading someone something for nothing.

Quote:
3)Does the blackmail token come into play at all when a 'boss' is deciding who to promote to an empty position? Can the blackmailer influence that decision, or does blackmail strictly work on Character or Role actions?

Blackmail only works in the action phase.

Quote:
4)If an influence card allows you to influence two different types of gangsters, and there is a gangster on the board who has symbols for both, can you use all influence on the game gangster?

Yes, you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek M
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate the speedy response!

We had interpreted all of these as answered, including blackmail, though we thought it would be interesting thematically if blackmail could influence promotions as well.

We may try out a variant where a family with blackmail on a superior could elect to seize the appointment rights for a single promotion, but at the cost of discarding the blackmail token and its accompanying influence.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cockburn
United Kingdom
Sleaford
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
webdanzer wrote:

As Tom has answered, no, you can't do this, but there is one adjustment of influence which is within the rules, and which doesn't involve moving any tokens on or off the gangster. If you have an influence token on top of a blackmail token, you may as part of a deal swap that particular influence token with another influence token already on the same gangster (thereby giving the power of blackmail to another player).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mathmethman wrote:
webdanzer wrote:

As Tom has answered, no, you can't do this, but there is one adjustment of influence which is within the rules, and which doesn't involve moving any tokens on or off the gangster. If you have an influence token on top of a blackmail token, you may as part of a deal swap that particular influence token with another influence token already on the same gangster (thereby giving the power of blackmail to another player).

From my uderstanding, that influence token is ONLY used to designate which family has control of the blackmail token. It does not count towards influence of the character it's on and doesn't have the characteristics of a regular token. If the family no longer has the blackmail ability on the character, the influence token is removed along with the blackmail token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cockburn
United Kingdom
Sleaford
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bbhalla wrote:
mathmethman wrote:
webdanzer wrote:

From my uderstanding, that influence token is ONLY used to designate which family has control of the blackmail token. It does not count towards influence of the character it's on and doesn't have the characteristics of a regular token. If the family no longer has the blackmail ability on the character, the influence token is removed along with the blackmail token.

The Blackmail coin does not denote influence or count towards control, but the influence token placed on it DOES have all the qualities of any other influence token. The rules (bottom right of page 7, top left of page 8) are pretty clear on this. Also see bottom left of page 10 for my original point about negotiation.

The sentence beginning "If the family no longer has the blackmail ability..." has it back to front. It's the removal of the influence token which triggers the loss of the blackmail coin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.