Ben Kirman
United Kingdom
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a quick go with this, enjoyed setting up a Hawaii campaign, however I lost the entire campaign on my first mission (Cthonians/82). People aren't lying when they say this expansion is *hard*. A few questions and observations.

The Hawaii campain lists targets 82, 87 and 103 as "beginning the campaign in play". Does this mean I don't draw for targets on the first day? Do the unpicked targets remain "in play" to the next day? This might mean I've been playing CAO wrong too! an "Improvement" explicitly says it stays but what about other cards that start "in play"?

What order are attacks from sites/bandits resolved with the new Displacement mechanic? I can't find anywhere in the core rules that specifies order. Crucially, if I choose, I can gamble on a displacing enemy moving me out of range of other more dangerous opponents! Hardly a reliable tactic though!

I found in TAL, time wasn't so much of a pressure, however in HL:CC, the 5 turns limit plus Displacement really puts a huge amount of pressure on. I'd be interested in hearing general strategies for managing this. Certainly I learned a hard lesson about only bringing AtG ordnance with range 0. Not a single aircraft managed to get into the centre area within 5 turns!

Looking forward to giving it another bash. Next time I'm thinking of taking an entirely green squadron to maximise SOs, since pilots appear to have very short lifespans...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When drawing target cards you can choose how many cards to draw. The number on the recon track is just the maximum number you can draw. If you don't want to attack the targets already in play, you can draw cards. If you want to attack them, you can still draw cards, but you risk drawing new improvements or overlords, so you probably won't.

Edit: When looking at the targets, I'm not so sure. I thought they would be improvements, but only one is an improvement. Maybe the two other cards are supposed to replace your regular draw, after all. Since they're not improvements, they should usually be discarded if you don't attack them. If they replace your regular card draw, they should certainly be discarded, but if they come in addition to your regular card draw I have the feeling they should all be treated as improvements, and stay in play until you destroy them. One thing is certain, though: Improvements that start in play, stay in play until you destroy them.

I don't know the answer to your second question, but I would determine attack order for sites and bandits randomly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lajeunesse
France
Ivry-sur-Seine
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
badge
Hihihi... Stop that, I'm ticklish !
mbmbmbmbmb
Aelf wrote:
What order are attacks from sites/bandits resolved with the new Displacement mechanic? I can't find anywhere in the core rules that specifies order.

If I'm not mistaken, the sample mission in the Cthulhu Conflict rulebook brings an answer to this question : When it comes to the sites/bandits turn to attack (after the fast pilots attack), it clearly says that you can choose the order.
This being said, we can notice in the following paragraphs than they are resolved clockwise, but I guess it's more as a convenient way not to forget one of them, and I think you can really proceed in whichever order you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.