Onirim» Forums » Variants

Subject: "Open the door" shuffling variant - for less shuffling. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zakimos Kleidos
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As a lot of other players on this board, I love Onirim but I'm not too kind on the constant shuffling.
I read all the threads about possible variants for reducing the need of shuffling, and I made one myself that, IMO, works well.

There are three different house rules in this variant: you can use one or more of them at the same time.

1) At the start of the game, you draw five cards and discard the nightmares and the doors. These cards are put in the limbo pile and are LEFT THERE, until you open a door (with a key or with a set of three cards).

2) Everytime you discard a card in the limbo pile (for example, drawing 5 cards after a nightmare), this card remains there until you open a door (with a key or with a set of three card).

After opening the door, you shuffle the limbo pile back inside the main one.

This can ease the game a bit if a lot of nightmares are "frozen" this way, but it's not always a good thing, as they are all coming back together with vengeance as soon as you open a door.
Also, doors are left out too, making it impossible to open them with keys, balancing the difficulty a bit.
The real gain, obviously, is having a much more streamlined game without the need of constant shuffling, but without breaking the game too much.

3) Optional one: if you open a door and there aren't any cards in the limbo pile, you don't have to shuffle. Just start from the bottom of the pile searching for you door, stop when you find it and try to understand where the nightmares are lurking. This can ease the randomness of the game a bit, but it's not essential and can "break" the game a bit too much.

Hoping this will be of help to others who love this game - except for the shuffling part :-D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rhind
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Must. Stop. Buying. Games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great ideas. I'm not a fan of all the shuffling either. I will definitely try this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got the game myself. I'd heard about all the shuffling, but oh man! That's a lot of shuffling!

So, I'll try out your ideas- thanks for sharing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kieran Quinn
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
We tried this as it sounded pretty good, but we came across a couple situations where a number of doors (and dreams) got stuck in the limbo pile, before we could open a door, which made it even more difficult to open a door to shuffle the cards in limbo back into the draw pile.

So we came up with the idea of only shuffling the limbo pile back in if we opened a door or resolved a nightmare. It makes it not that far off from the original game so one might wonder, "why bother?", but I feel like it makes the amount of shuffling palatable while it doesn't virtually remove the possibility of opening a door when finding one nor does it drastically decrease the viability of prophecies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.