Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Lucashu
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi all

I’ll jump right into it. I’m looking for a good sci-fi tabletop game to play: I say wargame but I’m not sure that some of what I play would really be considered ‘wargaming’.

Here’s what I like (and dislike) and why: I guess I’m looking for something similar, that has some of these elements

Warhammer 40,000

Used to be into this big time. Eventually got out of the hobby because of the skyrocketing prices of models and very randomized combat mechanics (leading to me feeling like my tactics were useless). But I liked the minis, I like the painting/customization aspect, I like the scale, and I like the ‘free’ nature of gameplay: that is, not having squares and being able to use terrain, etc… to create the battlefield.

Battlefleet Gothic

Again, used to be into this. In general I’m now so irritated with GW that I don’t really want to continue supporting any of their games. That said, I loved the complexity and general feel of giant battleships slugging it out, though I wished the fighter craft could have played a bigger role…My other comments are the same as for 40K.

Mechwarrior: Dark Age

I like the Mechwarrior universe and I like some of the simplicity of the gameplay, but otherwise I was very frustrated with this game. Pretty bad model quality, lack of game support outside the boxes, RANDOMIZED figures (shoot me now!), and overall lack of cohesion (every unit moves by itself…in a battle with 200+ figures, you know how long that takes to move everyone???)

Lord of the Rings: War of the Ring

The only wargame I still play actively. Yes it’s a GW product, but I no longer buy from GW: I always buy through ebay or secondary sellers. It is a huge step up from the Strategy Battle Game, I think, in that units move in companies and such. Otherwise, same comments as for 40K.

Mage Knight

Couldn’t stand this game. All of the complaints about Mechwarrior except with crappier pieces and no storyline.

Those are the main ones. I’ve played a few other pick up games but that’s it for what I actually spent any time on. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would really love to discover an alternate 40K or BFG. I loved those games to death: I just hate GW (and at this point, it’s too costly to get back into it for me). So perhaps this is a tall order, but anything like that around?

I see AT-43 and hear interesting things about it but it seems like the game is OOP(?) now, meaning I’d have little to no community support, and I also briefly looked at Firestorm Armada, but the ships somehow feel very generic to me and the storyline is nonexistent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas hartnett
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Star Wars X-Wing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compton
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Full Thrust

The rules are now a free download, there are many players, and you can mix and match models as you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stargorger wrote:
I would really love to discover an alternate 40K or BFG. I loved those games to death: I just hate GW (and at this point, it’s too costly to get back into it for me). So perhaps this is a tall order, but anything like that around?

Future War Commander is a great system, and includes stats for armies put out by a wide range of miniature manufacturers, including "generic named" equivalents for Epic 40k army miniatures (which are readily available through eBay, and cheaper than regular 40k).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
Warmachine?

For BFG, Perhaps Wormhole

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Way
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like mechs, have you considered BattleTech?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josh willhite
United States
La Junta
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I 've been into 40k pretty big for a while, but after my old game group dissolved and I never play (maybe 1-2 games a year now), I've started seling off a lot of the 40k excess to fund other games.

Deadzone: contagion. a scifi Kickstarter from mantic games (sort of like a cheaper 40k), smallish factions on small board, combat seems to revolve fast. Mantic games really seems like what you're looking for, an alternative 40k for cheaper.

Galaxy defenders, scifi co-op, should be available to general public before Christmas (it was a kickstarter as well) as they were trying to get things ready after the Kickstarter in time for Essen (so its almost here, can't wait!). Its a hex board game, 1-5 players, AI controlled baddies. Not a wargame, but I feel it deserves a mention.

Bolt Action. 28mm WW2, the bro-in-law likes the era so I'm putting a couple armies together so we can play. neat rules, I really, really want to play a game of this. Made by an old 40k employee, it's close to 40k, but a bit better IMHO. And on the plus side, is WW2 and uses a few tanks, which is awesome because my favorite video game is World of Tanks!

Infinity. scifi tabletop. some of the best sculpts out there right now, I can't stand all the special rules though. My old game group plays this a lot, games seems to be really fast, bloody, and fairly one-sided (one mistake and you lose the whole team real fast). Small model count, but you're going to need an absolute ton of terrain!

Dust tactics, dieselpunk (alt ww2 future) tabletop, not sure about this one (although I want to get some of those mechs for my IG).

Okko. You can pick up the base game and it's expansion for $40 flat or cheaper, feudal Japanese fantasy, uses small random-tile boards (you get a pile of them with base game). I thought it had some neat gameplay mechanics (easy, fast to pick up rules, but with underlying complexity). The base game and expansion both come with a pile of these well-printed cardboard cut-out infantry. Completely changed my opinion on using stand-ups. I love the look of this game, very well-made components (a hidden jewel).

I recently picked up Gears of War the board game. Not tabletop, but the fact that its 1-4 players and AI controlled enemies makes it an honorable mention. My current game group couldn't get into it, I don't care though, the solo-play option is pretty fun.

I can go on and on though, so many good wargames out there (I can think of another dozen I could still mention), feel free to contsact direct if you have further questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Lucashu
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi guys

Thanks for the replies! I appreciate the help

To respond directly:

Re: Full Thrust and Future War Commander, I really want something that has models built specifically for the game.

Re: Battletech, I have tried it but it’s a bit too slow for me. Hard for me to feel ‘drawn in’, tho I like the Mechwarrior universe.

Re: Warmachine…I like the presentation but the literal translation of ‘elves in space’ turns me off. Nice quality stuff tho!

Re: Wormhole…I’d prefer plastic models to constructables…and again I’d like something with a bit more backstory if possible.

@Josh Willhite

Deadzone: Contagion looks awesome! So sad the Kickstarter is already over or I would have contributed. Now I can’t find out how I can pre-order it? This definitely looks like something I’d like to pick up though!

Re: Dust Tactics and Bolt Action: eh, I really want strict sci-fi settings. “Alternate History” doesn’t do it for me.

Re: Gears of War (and X-Wing), I’d prefer one not based off a popular game franchise. Although I should say the one exception would be Homeworld. I would LOVE to play a starship game based off Homeworld!!

Re: Infinity, I actually looked at this one. I agree the models are beautiful and some of the best-looking out there. Sadly they are quite expensive and as you’ve said, it’s a very small-scale skirmish game…AT-43 and D:C sort of are as well, but they are more like a ‘strike group’ as opposed to a ‘team’.

Re: Galaxy Defenders, eh…I really want a battle game, as opposed to, well it looks like a board game version of League of Legends, which is cool but not what I’m looking for.

Re: Okko, I actually love feudal Japan, and will probably try this out in the near future…but right now I’m looking for scifi

Thanks again for everyone’s suggestions! If there are any more keep ‘em coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.