Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to print some proxies and user created cards from the file sections for Robinson Crusoe. Anyone have an idea what thickness will match what cardstock z-man uses? What about gloss? I found some 110 pound 94 brightness, would that work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
It won't match anything you're used to playing with and will feel really thin and flimsy. What I would recommend is printing the cards and putting them in a solid colored sleeve with a Magic common or some other CCG card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
If they are just proxies then 110 lb card stock makes a decent card, but you'll have a hard time matching the color and finish. If they are just proxies and are not being shuffled, then it's good enough. Or at very least, a ream of card stock isn't that expensive and it'll still be useful for other things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
lankyb wrote:
If they are just proxies then 110 lb card stock makes a decent card, but you'll have a hard time matching the color and finish. If they are just proxies and are not being shuffled, then it's good enough. Or at very least, a ream of card stock isn't that expensive and it'll still be useful for other things.

Is there a particular brightness I should search for that will match better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
When I said hard time, I was being generous. If it's a proxy, then moderately close is good enough. If it's a replacement card, then you should consider it impossible. FFG's Print-on-Demand cards can't match their normal cards. WizKids can't match the Mage Knight expansion cards to any printing of the base game. That should give you an idea of the difficultly in matching prints.

The brightness of the paper is the least of your concerns. It will be very difficult to match the glossy finish in terms of both look and feel. Since the cards don't have much white on them, the brightness of the stock doesn't matter in that you could probably use 94 or 92 bright and still have a chance of matching, but you'll probably need to use color matching hardware to calibrate your printer and paper stock as a combination.

If they're proxies, then it's fine. If they are going to be shuffled in, then as previously mentioned, you'll want to use opaque sleeves, then 110-lb will probably be indistinguishable under casual inspection. Both cards should end up being about 10 mils thick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.