Subject: My Custom Shelving Units rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: storage [+] [View All]
The Spydyr
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I know that alot of people have wondered and asked about shelving for their board games and there's lots of good info out there. I thought that I would post the custom shelving units that I just completed and put up in my man-cave for everyone to see what I did.

Basically I built 2 units that will stack. The larger unit will be 60"W x 48"T and have several compartments. The smaller unit will stack on top of the larger unit and will be 60"W x 24"T and contain several compartments as well.

I took pics all the way through this process and am posting them below. I used MDF board and used rail gun with 1 1/2" nails for the gun. Used wood glue to glue each piece together and then nailed through that to hold the pieces in place while glue dried and secured. After the units were built, I used 220 sand paper to sand them down lightly and even out edges. Then I used oil-based primer/sealer (don't use water based as water will ruin MDF board) and primed the entire shelves before painting. Here are the pics:

All wood (MDF Board) cut to size and ready for assembly:

The area where the shelving unit will go in my game room:

The top smaller shelf completely assembled. Still needs to be sanded and painted:

The bottom larger shelf that still needs to be painted and sanded:

The paint job is black and gold (Mizzou colors), so all black surrounding the outside and then on the inside, the sides and top are black and the back and bottoms are the gold. They turned out good, with just a few minor flaws/issues. Nothing that would be immediately noticeable, tho...only if you looked closely.

The bigger bottom shelf complete:

The smaller top shelf complete:

The last 3 are the shelves in place in the man cave and with the games and paint supplies in place on them:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Here is one of the two walls of shelves my wife and I built in our game room
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:

Looks nice! When am I coming up for some gaming?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Logging plays since 2004
badge
Oh, so you actually think about what you are saying?
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:

Looks nice! When am I coming up for some gaming?

After he gets some games to put on the shelves?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Spydyr
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haha...he spent so much time and $ on the shelves...he has no games to fill them. At least mine had games. Those are nice shelves and I don't knock you for them, but this thread wasn't meant to be whose is bigger and better...it was meant as a sort of guide for those who were questioning how to do this on their own. That's why I noted what I used and how I did it...js
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheSpydyr wrote:
haha...he spent so much time and $ on the shelves...he has no games to fill them. At least mine had games. Those are nice shelves and I don't knock you for them, but this thread wasn't meant to be whose is bigger and better...it was meant as a sort of guide for those who were questioning how to do this on their own. That's why I noted what I used and how I did it...js

I sure didn't mean to make it a bigger and better thing. I love your shelves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Spydyr
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
no problem and I love yours too...maybe sometime if you get the time, you could tell what materials you used and why...that sort of thing. I'd love to have some that were that big and nice...but I'd never fill them all, that's for sure.

Also, I am by far not a carpenter. I did mine strictly through internet research and youtube videos. So, while I think mine turned out decent and I loved taking the time to learn how to do them and actually doing them; anyone with more in-depth knowledge, feel free to correct any details I may have gotten wrong or missed. Also feel free to add your own instructions/opinions on what to do or not to do.

I just want for others to be able to have cool shelves for a decent price. And doing them on your own makes it even more enjoyable. By the way, it took me about a month to complete these and I just did a little at a time each evening after work. And I put maybe $200 total into the materials and paint etc to complete these as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We used 1x12 whiteboard and trimmed it with half round. Total cost was around $12,500 (I traded in my car for a truck to haul all the lumber - $10,000).

Also bought a compressor and a nail gun, a compound miter saw and table and other assorted stuff.

I've got quite a few games and they all fit so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Spydyr
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
that's pretty cool. And hopefully well worth it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sixsmith
United Kingdom
Tyldesley
Salford, Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
Nice job, very clean work. Since I've moved into my own gaff I've discovered the joys of working wood in my hands

Currently I've built my partner a walk-in-wardrobe and made my own shelves to stack my Drum kit and weight bench into... they will probably never come back down thanks to my new board game/ miniatures obsession... unless of course its to make more room for said obsession angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sixsmith
United Kingdom
Tyldesley
Salford, Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
Orangemoose wrote:
We used 1x12 whiteboard and trimmed it with half round. Total cost was around $12,500 (I traded in my car for a truck to haul all the lumber - $10,000).

Also bought a compressor and a nail gun, a compound miter saw and table and other assorted stuff.

I've got quite a few games and they all fit so far.

Dear lord you spent 12k? This makes me wonder how much you've spent on games over the years!

MDF is a touch cheaper and my preferred choice to work with (as I'm tight fisted and poor lol, also my dad has loads of power drill plugs and screws I can pinch)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.