Subject: Designer Diary #2 - Game mechanic meets the setting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Łukasz Woźniak
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As I explained in my previous entry, the idea for a assassins going after a medieval king came to my mind at the very beginning. After about six months I finally figured out, what to do with the game. I had a simple, smooth concept for the mechanics that fitted the setting perfectly.

I don’t remember the exact moment that I put all of it together, but I remembered I was excited. I made a new, black and white board with streets and buildings. I made tokens to represent the king, his guards and inhabitants. Most importantly, I prepared prototype cards – 12 cards for hidden assassins, and 15 round cards.

I invited one of my friends, who playtests games with me sometimes, and took the game for a spin. It was (and still is) simple enough – the king with his guards starts the game in one corner of the board.

In the other corner is located his castle, where he can find a safe hideaway. The other player places twelve crowd tokens on 12 marked fields on the board, and then chooses secretly three of them to be undercover assassins.

Through the game, the king is trying to reach his castle or kill all three assassins. The assassins, on the other hand, are scheming to kill the king, or wait him out until the end of the last round.

The prototype was not working perfectly right away, but it was exciting, fast, and engaging from the very first game. Right then I was sure that King & Assassins would become a great game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David T
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
The more I learn the more excited I become!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is a distant relative of Hnefatafl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador Bernadó
Spain
Gavà
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The theme of the game looks interesting.
God save the king.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.