Aris Ktistakis
Greece
KOROPI, ATHENS
flag msg tools
badge
All that I need is this moment
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi geeks....

Just came across in our last night session where a friend of mine made a combo of "Draft" and "Nationalism" advance.

Draft lets you build a unit with a mood token , whereas Nationalism awards you a culture or mood token if you build a unit.
In other words that means that if you have those 2 advances you just build a unit for free (you pay a mood - you receive a mood) or you just exchange a mood for a culture....

Is that the way it played or we just played it wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST:                The Crystal Caverns The Fearsome Foes The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
That combo does work exactly as you describe... but you'll be wasting a lot of actions if you keep building only that one "free" unit each time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aris Ktistakis
Greece
KOROPI, ATHENS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woelf wrote:
That combo does work exactly as you describe... but you'll be wasting a lot of actions if you keep building only that one "free" unit each time.

Build a unit is an action....so where is the "waste" ? In other words, you would still need an action to build anything , right?

What am I missing here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
athibor wrote:
Woelf wrote:

Build a unit is an action....so where is the "waste" ? In other words, you would still need an action to build anything , right?

What am I missing here?

Kyle means, that getting one unit for one action, is not an effective way of spending an action. But yes, the combo is meant to work just like that. But generally its nice to add more than one unit per action. Draft/Natonalism is fun. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aris Ktistakis
Greece
KOROPI, ATHENS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marqzen wrote:
athibor wrote:
Woelf wrote:

What am I missing here?

Kyle means, that getting one unit for one action, is not an effective way of spending an action. But yes, the combo is meant to work just like that. But generally its nice to add more than one unit per action. Draft/Natonalism is fun. cool

Now i get it...the combo allows you to build ONLY one unit...so you spend a whole action for just one unit (which is free) whereas with one action you can build more land units (respecting stacking limits of course)

Thank you all!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
athibor wrote:
Now i get it...the combo allows you to build ONLY one unit...so you spend a whole action for just one unit (which is free) whereas with one action you can build more land units (respecting stacking limits of course)

Thank you all!!!

Just to be clear, you are allowed to build other units with the "free" unit. E.g. Your Happy size 3 city can build 4 units... 3 paid normally with Ore/Food and one paid with a Mood token with Draft. Nationalism then lets you collect a Mood/Culture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
athibor wrote:
marqzen wrote:
athibor wrote:
Woelf wrote:

What am I missing here?

Thank you all!!!

You can build other along with that free unit. What I meant was, that doing it just for one free unit, every turn is not cost-effective. But as a supplement, oh yeah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Voodoo Chile
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have another rules question about Draft, and I didn't want to start another thread.

Let's say that I have a size 1 city. I build an army unit as normal, spending 1 food and 1 ore. I would then like to take advantage of my Draft technology to get a 2nd worker by paying a mood token. Is this legal, given that I only have a size 1 city?

This may seem like a silly question, but there are a lot of techs that let you bend the core rules a little bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
voodoochile78 wrote:
I have another rules question about Draft, and I didn't want to start another thread.

Let's say that I have a size 1 city. I build an army unit as normal, spending 1 food and 1 ore. I would then like to take advantage of my Draft technology to get a 2nd worker by paying a mood token. Is this legal, given that I only have a size 1 city?

This may seem like a silly question, but there are a lot of techs that let you bend the core rules a little bit.

Not legal. You can never build more units than city size (+happiness) in one action (even from techs or cards). So had it been happy, your size 1 city could build 2 units and one could have been paid for with a mood token.

Draft works as part of the build units action. It simply allows you to pay for an army with a mood token instead of the usual food+ore. This works even if you are not building any other units - you may still use Draft on your single build army unit.

Edit: And with Nationalism, you may take a token (mood or culture), which usually is a mood token - and so get one army unit for "free" (you spend an action of course so not completely "free" - and you must have the mood token to begin with to use Draft).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.