Subject: Agricola iOS vs Le Havre iOS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Lanser
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone! A while back I picked up Le Havre for iOS and honestly haven't been able to get into it. I just find it really confusing. I'm not sure if it's my fault, or if the tutorial isn't that good, but after going through it, I felt like I'd finished a game, but still wasn't sure how to determine in a game what the next best possible action was. There's so much going on (and the tiny screen of my iPod doesn't help), but I just feel lost most of the time.

Now I see Agricola and I know it's also a worker placement game, but I'm wondering if its iOS counterpart does a better job of explaining why you're doing what you're doing instead of leaving feel like you can reproduce the tutorial, but you're not sure why. Could Agricola be a better choice for me? Or if I can't get into Le Havre, am I better off forgetting about the whole thing? Finally, if Agricola is "easier" to get into, would learning it first help me be better at grasping what's going on in Le Havre? Because I really want to like Le Havre, but I just feel like an idiot when I try to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Brown
United States
Ofallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
King Agricola
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LeHavre is represented better on IoS as to what the actual board game looks like. Agricola is not even close. However, the Tutorial in Agricola gives better explanations on why you are doing the actions the tutorial asks you to perform. LeHavre does explain the purpose but I don't think as fully. In LeHavre, I want to buy and use buildings so I can eventually build ships to haul out my goods and make tons of cash.

In Agricola, I want to collect resources to improve the three main areas of my farm: enlarging and upgrading my home (this allows me to add more farmers), constructing pastures, through use of fences, to raise the 3 kinds of animals, and finally, plow fields and sow crops in them (grain and vegetables).

In Agricola, I feel like a farmer and the tutorial explains this.

In LeHavre, I don't feel like a ship builder. The tutorial doesn't explain why one move is better than the other. Maybe it shouldn't. As a player, I should be able to figure that out based on the mechanics of the game.

Overall, the game mechanics are well represented in both games. I prefer Agricola but that doesn't make it better than LeHavre.

Hope this helps.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Barcelona_(1713–14)
badge
https://spanishpolice.github.io
mbmbmbmbmb
I love both games and both iOS implementations, though they are quite different.

These games are a little overwhelming, at least my experience with Le Havre was like that (having never played the board version). But read a couple of times the rules and make three or four games and you'll start to understand the strategy of the game. Then you'll be hooked to try many things and will enjoy it.

I found Agricola easy to play but I had already played the board version a couple of times. It's also a deep game, but maybe the iOS implementation is easier to understand, with many animations and help icons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Playdek's Agricola puts Codito's Le Havre to shame. It really does. There is no comparison.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Dias
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Playdek's Agricola puts Codito's Le Havre to shame. It really does. There is no comparison.

Well, call me crazy but I prefer Codito's Le Havre anytime.
Too much distraction on some implementations of BOARD GAMES.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
It is, I will admit, a more direct port from cardboard to digital, but the polish of Playdek's app clearly outshines Codito's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Lanser
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input guys. I'm thinking I may give Agricola a shot and also try to hack away a bit more at Le Havre as well. As I said, I like the idea of the game (and if it was coming for iPod/iPhone instead of just iPad, I think I'd probably try Lords of Waterdeep because I like how it handles the style conceptually). So maybe I just need to put in a little more effort and things will "click" for me soon.

If anyone else has any thoughts, feel free to add them. I'd love to hear from as many people as possible who have experience here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Weis
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep will run on iPhone and iPodTouch when it is released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Lanser
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really?? That would be awesome! While I haven't played Lords of Waterdeep, from looking at it I thought it would be the perfect game for my particular interests to get started in the "worker placement" genre of games. But everything I've read online about it only mentions iPad or iOS but no mentions of iPhone or iPod Touch. Is there an official release on that I just haven't found yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.