Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
United Geeks of Gaming will be hosting its first Tournament on October 19th. Before I finalize the format and post it to the event, I wanted to get thoughts from the local consensus. I originally tried to locate a forum that would make sense for Tournament discussions, but not finding one I figured that I would pose these questions to the people most impacted by the outcome.

I have limited the entries to 25 players, and I'm looking at running 3 "Heats" of 5 five player games (assuming we don't have less players), with the winner of each table earning 5 points, second place 4 points and so on.

Placement at the tables during the following heats will be determined by current score, so the 5 point players together, 4 point players together, etc.

After the three rounds a "Finals" round of the top 5 players would compete for placings. I'm thinking we will keep a running total of players scores. this would be used in case of the need for tiebreakers, both in table assignment and for final overall placement.

However I have a few questions I wanted to throw out.

First, having a "Finals" round, obviates the scoring from the first three rounds, and so someone could come in with a score of 15, and lose to a player with a much lower overall ranking. I'm not sure how that would be received.

Second, if we end up with an uneven number of players (say we have 22), how would you do the scoring for the smaller tables?

Say we have 22 players, I'm figuring that it would make more sense to have 3 five player tables and 2 four player tables, but then does it make sense to leave the scoring at 5-4-3-2 or have it 4-3-2-1. Alternatively the odd tables out could score 4.5-3.5-2.5-1.5, but I'm not sure if that would cause issues that are not occurring to me.

Third, does anyone see any overall issues with this format? Would it make more sense to just have 4 rounds, and calculate the placings based from the totals of the four rounds?

This was my initial thought, but I don't see any other tournaments being run this way, so I'm guessing there must be a problem with it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Harvey
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Is this still happening? If so when and where?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Holle
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I am not much of a Ticket to Ride player but props for hosting a tournament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmie Hayes
United States
Knox
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to have a look at this,
http://game-o-rama.com/ttr.html

It's essentially not much different than your proposal. The one obvious difference is the ranking system. Points are assigned by position; so winners would receive a value of one. The players with the lowest point values advance. Basically, it's a measure of the average final position if you divide by games played.

At any rate, this should alleviate the need for half-points at oddly matched tables. It punishes those are larger tables that come in last but, honestly, they're probably not going to be in the running for the finals anyhow.

Some of the information in the link can be disregarded due to the smaller expected field in your tournament. The larger field that they host necessitates the extra rounds of play before determining a winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ward Batty
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
The rules we'll be using at Game-o-Rama are those provided by Days of Wonder. They even provide a spreadsheet to resolve who moves on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.