Subject: 2-Player Game Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zombie Joe
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

Being somewhat new to the board game scene and wanting to play a more complex and immersive version of Elder Sign, my wife and I have been thinking of purchasing this game in the upcoming weeks.

I've been going through the rules and watching playthroughs online to get familiar with the game as I know it can be somewhat complex, and I have a few questions regarding gameplay for 2 players.

1) The rule book seem to indicate that each player gets 1 investigator. However, I've seen some people run solos with 4 investigators or 2 player game sessions where each player had 2 investigators each. My questions are, do we only get 2 investigators with a 2 player game? What's the general thought on this?

2) The rule book also indicates that one of the winning conditions is that we close the last open gate on the board have gate trophies equal to or greater than the number of players. So in a 2 player game, that would mean only 2 gates and 2 gate trophies at the minimum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Ramsey
United States
Grove City
OH
flag msg tools
badge
Hush
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie Joe wrote:

1) The rule book seem to indicate that each player gets 1 investigator. However, I've seen some people run solos with 4 investigators or 2 player game sessions where each player had 2 investigators each. My questions are, do we only get 2 investigators with a 2 player game? What's the general thought on this?

2) The rule book also indicates that one of the winning conditions is that we close the last open gate on the board have gate trophies equal to or greater than the number of players. So in a 2 player game, that would mean only 2 gates and 2 gate trophies at the minimum?

Use however many investigators you want. Four is a good number of investigators for the game, so for a 2 player game, I have each player controlling 2 investigators. If you want to play with more/less, go for it.

For the monster limit/outskirts limit/gate limit/ everything else, replace "number of players" with "number of investigators". So, 2 players with 2 investigators each need to close down 4 gates, not just 2.

(Edit: Stupid grammar angry)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zombie Joe
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a difference in difficulty between 2 investigators and 4 investigators?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie Joe wrote:
Is there a difference in difficulty between 2 investigators and 4 investigators?

4 is easier, you're getting more actions between each Mythos Phase. It's often regarded as the sweet spot in terms of difficulty, there's some statistical analysis backing this up somewhere, don't have a link though.

For your first game you may want to play 3 investigators between you, to reduce book-keeping a tad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zombie Joe
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. Thanks for the answers all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The stats can be found here: http://bit.ly/19ToXPr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the submission form. The stats (here defaulted on the difficulty-vs-investigator-number) are here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie Joe wrote:

The direct answer to your question is yes, there is a difference. The forces of the Great Old One move after all the investigators have moved. Therefore with four investigators you get to take four actions before the monsters take a turn, with two investigators you would only get two actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
That's the submission form. The stats (here defaulted on the difficulty-vs-investigator-number) are here.
Huh! So it is. How odd, I even tested it wonder what happened there? I'll have to check my Bitmarks. Thanks for fixing that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zombie Joe
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey cool, thanks for the stats.

So looks like the odds of winning a 2 investigator game are slightly over 50%. Not too bad. Don't want it to be too easy either

4 investigators seem to boost those chances up by 11%, so not as dramatic of a difference as I was expecting. Better, but not by much.

Interesting stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie Joe wrote:
Hey cool, thanks for the stats.

So looks like the odds of winning a 2 investigator game are slightly over 50%. Not too bad. Don't want it to be too easy either

4 investigators seem to boost those chances up by 11%, so not as dramatic of a difference as I was expecting. Better, but not by much.

Interesting stuff.

The odds may not change too much, but the gaming experience is much better with four investigators. You will have twice as many encounters, and the game will much more likely end with a gate closing/ sealing victory rather than a final battle (which, unless you are using Kingsport, is very anti-climatic).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.