Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just printed out and assembled my first Print and Play game board. While overall it looks quite good, there are noticeable issues with it. There are a couple of spots where things don't line up quite right. Considering it's the very first time I've ever done this, I'm okay with the results, but I already know that I'll probably try another version down the road.

All of which got me wondering... how perfect do you have to be? What I mean, is when you're making your own Print & Play game does it have to be absolutely perfect and look like it could have been bought in a store? Or are you okay with it if it's mostly good with a few slight blemishes? Or are you fine with it as long as it is playable?

And a bonus question... what one trick that you learned DIY'ing do you think really made the most impact on your efforts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy VanSchalkwyk
United States
Raynham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Lasers!
badge
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a very big part of the answer to this depends on "who is going to play it?".

If you are making a copy for your casual-game-playing friends, they might expect a game to look as if it was from a store, and not be as interested in something clearly "homemade".

Your more "gamer" friends might (depending on the person) be more OK with less-perfect components (as long as they don't interfere with the game; ensuring card backs aren't identifiable from each other, for example).

In both of the above cases, if you have talked about/planned to try out a new game that you made a copy of, they will be expecting it and perhaps have already agreed to it.

And lastly, if you are making solitaire games (which seems quite popular in PnP games), then it just depends on if you care enough, or have the extra time to make it nicer!

That's my , I think it's an interesting topic to think about!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a real high-roller when it comes to PnP; the thing which has made the biggest difference for me is getting a paper trimmer instead of using scissors. (I print on paper and put the slips into sleeves with Magic cards as backing, as opposed to printing directly on cardstock.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
It depends on why you're making the game.

One thing that I've learned is that even though I want to do my best, I also need to make sure that I'm not going to make it into an overly difficult task otherwise I'll end up putting it off and not doing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
but I already know that I'll probably try another version down the road.

Another one hooked !

Thunkd wrote:
how perfect do you have to be?

Others have answered regarding who you are playing with and I agree with that.

In my own experience, I have had some beautifully made games flop completely at the table and have also had some that I did not do much of a job on go over really well.

Now, I generally do a "trial" version (black and white printing, non-mounted, etc.) to see if the mechanics go over well and if so, I redo and put more effort into the final version.

Thunkd wrote:
And a bonus question... what one trick that you learned DIY'ing do you think really made the most impact on your efforts?

While I agree with the need for a paper cutter, without doubt the thing that made me into a confirmed PnPer was full sheet label paper which eliminates the need for adhesive and speeds up production immensely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
A light table is nice so you can line things up front to back perfectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:
A light table is nice so you can line things up front to back perfectly.

And a heavy table is nice for stability when cutting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect enough to satisfy the person printing it; in this case, yourself.

As far as how perfect it needs to be for me would depend on how often I would be looking at it. If it is something, I'm going to play through once or twice, I wouldn't care too much. If it is my favorite game, that I intended to play frequently, over and over, then I would opt for better quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hilariously - imperfections in my full PNP assemblies bug the heck out of me. But I just get over it and play. The hand crafted stuff though I am a-lot more lenient with unless Im going flat out wild in hand recreating stuff.

Dont worry about minor imperfections and mistakes. They are about impossible to avoid and tend to be harmless. Vexing, but harmless.

Things that make PNPing easier?

A battle plan! Plot out what needs to be done and when before you start. Do things in steps, do not try to multitask assembly unless the tasks have a-lot of down time for drying, setting, etc.

Patience! Lots of it! Dont rush. Thats just begging for disaster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it playable?

If so, mission accomplished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jaconetti
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
I'm not a real high-roller when it comes to PnP; the thing which has made the biggest difference for me is getting a paper trimmer instead of using scissors. (I print on paper and put the slips into sleeves with Magic cards as backing, as opposed to printing directly on cardstock.)

Indeed; I have a ton of sleeves laying around from buying M:TG retail repack sets, and most of them are useless to me for M:TG because I have only 50 of each design! So I use them to hold PnP tokens and whatnot, usually with a Land card in the back.

Aside to non-M:TG players: If you don't have cards to stick in the back of your sleeves for PnP stuff, ask your local game shop or someone you know who plays M:TG and then can probably hook you up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.