Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Star Wars: The Card Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: How to draft SWLCG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Here are some draft format ideas I have:

1) Players will build a LS and a DS deck, minimum 10 objective decks each.
2) Players IGNORE all resource matching while playing matches.
3) Players may play any cards in combination with any objectives.
4) Shuffle all LS/DS objectives together. (Or you can select 20-30 of each LS/DS)
5) Create packs of LS/DS objectives mixed together. Players will use the abilities and resources from the objectives, but IGNORE any resource matching. Select objectives one at a time, until all are picked.

6)Shuffle all LS/DS cards together. (Or you can select 100 DS and 100 LS cards and shuffle together.
7) Create packs of 15 if you want to make (MTG style packs to draft). Google: Draft Variants if you want 2 player drafts like Winchester, Wiston draft formats. Select cards until all LS/DS are picked.
8) Players build LS/DS decks simulataeously as they draft.
9) Players play normal rules, rotating from LS/DS decks between matches.

Thoughts?

I am going to test this idea this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lernout
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My take:

1) It's possible to "fail" to make a deck for both sides of the force if the pack distribution becomes uneven or someone focuses on one side of the force and doesn't pick up the other. It would take longer, but I would suggest for balance that you run two separate draft piles (one for DS, one for LS) to alleviate this.

2) Some of the fun of drafting Magic can be reading signals and working your deck out from the available colors. I'd try not to alter that via eliminating the required resource matches as suggested. If this is followed, it probably makes more sense to draft the objectives following the rest of your deck after you know which affiliations you'll want resources for.

3) Drafted decks are less consistent than constructed. Magic makes up for this by lowering the minimum deck size. I'd suggest the same here. I'd try a deck size minimum of 35 and objective deck size of 7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
badge
Thank you, to whoever gifted me the Geek Citizenship Recognition badge! You're a pretty cool person, anonymous BGGer!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if it was me, I would keep all of the game rules the same as normal play, including resource match as that's part of the fun.

Just going off the top of my head, I think I would run it with these rules:

-Every player should bring along 2x copies of Rumors at the Cantina and 2x Looking for Droids, for possible inclusion in their decks.

-Shuffle up all objective pods and draft the full pods. Probably draft 12x pods for each side for a bit of wiggle room.

-Photoshop up multi-affiliation cards, any combination of two. So a player can run an Imperial/Scum or Imperial/Sith or Sith/Scum combo affiliation card for DS and same thing for LS. Make sure all players have access to all possible combinations of these affiliation cards. This will help with some of the weirdness of mixing many affiliation pods and pods that are limited to a certain affiliation. (This rule may make the rule about bringing Rumors and Looking for Droids pods unneeded)(If you don't plan to use this rule, then all players will need to bring all affiliation cards with them as well.)

No clue how balanced or fun this would be, but this is where I would start I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Blakeney
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made some drafting rules..

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1002864/unofficial-deck-draf...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still think the best way to draft SW is to ditch the pods for the decks. Draft the cards individually, and build a deck from the debris.

Each player needs a 48 card deck, consisting 8 objectives and 40 non-objective cards.

A deck cannot contain more than four copies of any single card (by title).

Objectives that are restricted to one per objective deck, or to a specific faction do NOT confer that restriction onto the cards within their pods.

Players must draft objectives out of the same pool as other cards. Pick your favorite drafting format.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8-Bit Bastard
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
“That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of keeping the resource match for the objective cards. Maybe you could include a rule where you can ignore the resource match when your affilation card is used to play something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.