Subject: The history of your name rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't particularly like my name; I think I mentioned once, in a post elsewhere, that I made a namebadge for myself when I worked in a clothing store, and I called myself "Patrick". I was the top-selling staff member there, and I think it had a lot to do with the name on the badge.

But that is all secondary to the point of this entry.

According to the website "Behind the Name", (http://www.behindthename.com/) my given name Murray is defined as:
m Scottish, English
From a Scottish surname which was derived from the region in Scotland called Moray, meaning "seaboard settlement".

But mine is a first name, not a surname. Meanwhile, at "Meaning of Names", (http://www.meaning-of-names.com) I have four choices, and technically I could also have been a Scandinavian female. The connection with the sea is still there, though:

Murray
M or F Scandinavia
sailor

Male Scottish
From the sea.

Male Celtic
Lives by the sea.

Male Irish
Lord of the sea.

I'm liking the sounds of that Irish definition.

My surname (on that second site) means "a citizen or freeman of a borough who owed special duties to the king and had certain privileges."
La-di-dah!

What does your name "mean"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
USAGE: English, Hebrew, French, Scottish, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Dutch, Czech, Slovene, Russian, Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian, Biblical, Biblical Latin
OTHER SCRIPTS: דָּוִד (Hebrew), Давид (Russian, Serbian, Macedonian)
PRONOUNCED: DAY-vid (English), dah-VEED (Jewish), da-VEED (French), DAH-vit (German, Dutch), dah-VEET (Russian) [key]
Meaning & History
From the Hebrew name דָּוִד (Dawid), which was probably derived from Hebrew דוד (dwd) meaning "beloved". David was the second and greatest of the kings of Israel, ruling in the 10th century BC. Several stories about him are told in the Old Testament, including his defeat of Goliath, a giant Philistine. According to the New Testament, Jesus was descended from him.

This name has been used in Britain since the Middle Ages. It has been especially popular in Wales, where it is used in honour of the 5th-century patron saint of Wales (also called Dewi), as well as in Scotland, where it was borne by two kings. Famous bearers include empiricist philosopher David Hume (1711-1776) and explorer David Livingstone (1813-1873). This is also the name of the hero of Charles Dickens' semi-autobiographical novel 'David Copperfield' (1850).
Related Names
See All Relations
Show Family Tree

VARIANTS: Dovid (Yiddish), Dàibhidh, Daividh (Scottish), Davi (Portuguese (Brazilian))
DIMINUTIVES: Dave, Davey, Davie, Davy (English), Dudel (Yiddish), Davie (Scottish)
FEMININE FORMS: Davina (English (British)), Davena, Davida (English)
OTHER LANGUAGES: Daud, Dawood, Dawud (Arabic), Dauid (Biblical Greek), Dawid (Biblical Hebrew), Daveth (Cornish), Taavetti, Taavi (Finnish), Davit (Georgian), Dávid (Hungarian), Davide (Italian), Dovydas (Lithuanian), Daw (Medieval English), Dawid (Polish), Dávid (Slovak), Dafydd, Dewi, Dewydd, Dai, Dewey, Taffy (Welsh)

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
James.

The English New Testament form of Jacob, from Old French James, from Late Latin Iacomus, dialect variant of Iacobus, from Ancient Greek Ἰάκωβος (Iacōbos), from Ἰακώβ (Iacōb), from Classical Hebrew יַעֲקֹב (Yaʿăqōḇ).

But you can call me Andy. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:
From the Hebrew name דָּוִד (Dawid), which was probably derived from Hebrew דוד (dwd) meaning "beloved".

Well that sums you up pretty well.
There are an awful lot of "beloved" people wandering around in this world though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Scandinavian, the name Erik means honorable ruler.

Fuck yeah! Don't mess with me or I will give you fair and speedy trial by a jury of your peers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
William. I've always been fine with my name, other than the annoyance caused when I have an account under "William" or "Bill" somewhere and I can't remember which.

From German Wilhelm, combining "Will, desire" with "helmet." So...I'm the helmet that everybody wants? Uh, I guess?

By the second site my names means "resolute protector." Makes more sense, but don't think it much describes me in any way.

Still, as Tarantino wrote, "I'm American, honey. Our names don't mean shit."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Michael - From the Hebrew name מִיכָאֵל (Mikha'el) meaning "who is like God?". This is a rhetorical question, implying no person is like God. Michael is one of the seven archangels in Hebrew tradition and the only one identified as an archangel in the Bible.

#8 most common name in the universe. snore

My adopted last name - Chapel, derived from Chappel, derived from Chappelle. Origin France, migrated to England during the Norman invasion. Means lived by a church.

My family name Wolfe, derived from Wolff, derived from Wolf. Known origin back to Switzerland, migrated from eastern France(Wolf)(during Swiss reformation), migrated to central Germany(Wolff)(During Palatine migration), migrated to Virginia(Wolfe)(During War of Spanish Succession)...Means um, Wolf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
DKahnt wrote:
From the Hebrew name דָּוִד (Dawid), which was probably derived from Hebrew דוד (dwd) meaning "beloved".

Well that sums you up pretty well.
There are an awful lot of "beloved" people wandering around in this world though.

I have seen fewer and fewer little boys named David, quite interesting as I remember there were at least five in my graduating high school class.

Also... My family (i.e.: the one created by my wife and me) do indeed have a theme: each of us have Old Testament names and family middle names.

David Warren
Rebecca Anne
Samuel Edward
Abigail Elizabeth
Hannah Victoria

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Michael - From the Hebrew name מִיכָאֵל (Mikha'el) meaning "who is like God?". This is a rhetorical question, implying no person is like God. Michael is one of the seven archangels in Hebrew tradition and the only one identified as an archangel in the Bible.

#8 most common name in the universe. snore

My brother Mike hates his name. No matter what class he was in from kindergarten through college, he was always one of at least 3 Michaels in the room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
erak wrote:

My brother Mike hates his name. No matter what class he was in from kindergarten through college, he was always one of at least 3 Michaels in the room.

Which is my theory why most people call me Chapel. I mean, everyone calls me Chapel, almost organically. My wife thought I was crazy at first, till one of her friends started calling her that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Much to my surprise,

Quote:
The name Avri was not found.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody
Canada
Madeira Park
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
I have no willpower :)
badge
(.ㅅ.) The meaning of life is tuna >'.'<
mbmbmbmbmb
My name has a boring meaning no matter what, song or able to sing, though I do like my name. The only interesting history in my name is my Grandmother picked out my name, it was the only one she could as her husband named all their children.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wintz
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
My last name "Wintz" comes from two very old German words. "Vinz" (from which we get the name "Vincent,") meaning chum, pal, buddy, and the word "Vin," meaning "wine."

So, my last name means "drinking buddy" - a family tradition that gives me a direction and purpose in life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Joseph, from the Hebrew, meaning "You got pregnant how?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nycavri wrote:
Much to my surprise,

Quote:

According to this site, your name means "elf counselor".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
nycavri wrote:
Much to my surprise,

Quote:

According to this site, your name means "elf counselor".

I hate you . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
????
mbmbmbmbmb
Todd = Scottish for fox
Warnken = A form of Warinher which means guard or army

Fox guard sounds pretty cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm..no wonder I used to play as a Ranger character...

My first name (Edward) means "wealthy guardian" and my last name (Holzman) means "forest dweller". So I would make my (apparently abundant) living as a guardian of the forest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
????
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:
Hmm..no wonder I used to play as a Ranger character...

My first name (Edward) means "wealthy guardian" and my last name (Holzman) means "forest dweller". So I would make my (apparently abundant) living as a guardian of the forest.

Sounds like you are Robin Hood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shark ♥ Max
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack should not be confused with Jack.

See, Jack is from James (Jacob), where Jack is the diminutive form of John. Different apostle.

My uncle is named Jac, and my grandfather Jacques, so it's probably the first version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty
msg tools
MABBY wrote:
According to the website

Great, thanks for that. "Rusty" gives a redirect to http://www.petmd.com/dog/centers/puppy/names/male/Rusty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
STRAP IN » BURN ON » BLACK OUT
badge
HIT 'EM FROM ORBIT
mbmbmbmbmb
BEARER OF CHRIST

Dude needs to lay off the cupcakes, seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb

"I'm an American, honey. Our names don't mean shit."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
Another Michael in the fray.

Aside from my four older brothers and I all having fairly popular names, my parents went in for naming themes. We all got a first name based off of Catholic saints, and a middle name based off of a relative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
...something. :)
mbmbmb
In German, the name Rudy means a famous wolf.

Well, that is my eating style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.