Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Our Lady of Perpetual Yelling
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In many other forums there is a button you can click when you are following a thread that you are not subscribed to. It's usually something like "first unread" or "go to first unread." Do the BGG forums have anything like that? I've looked and looked, but still haven't found it. Thanks!

ETA: It's usually found within a thread you are reading, and will take you to the first post that's been added since your last visit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I'm afraid not. I know what you mean: it's a usual phpBB feature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can kind of get to it through subscriptions.

If you subscribe to a forum (or any 'item') it will notice you in the 'subscription' box, which is right below your 'geek mail' box.

When you go there it will should you anything that you've subscribed to that has unread stuff.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/subscriptions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I find the subscriptions make an ok (not great) substitute for the unread post feature I am used to everywhere else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:

I know about that feature, it's just that the last thing I need is a bunch of notifications about threads I'm moderately interested in, vs threads I really want to follow.

Oh well, at least I can console myself with the fact that I wasn't overlooking a giant, blinking button that was obvious to everyone but me. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
photojenic wrote:
Guantanamo wrote:

I know about that feature, it's just that the last thing I need is a bunch of notifications about threads I'm moderately interested in, vs threads I really want to follow.

Oh well, at least I can console myself with the fact that I wasn't overlooking a giant, blinking button that was obvious to everyone but me. laugh

You can subscribe to the individual thread and not the forum (but yeah)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Schomp
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the feature I miss the most is a 'New replies to your posts' button.

If I'm reading a thread, and I comment on it, and then someone replies it is nice to get some kind of notification.

I believe you can make BGG do that under http://boardgamegeek.com/geekaccount/edit and select 'Yes' to the items under 'Subscribe by default when I post or reply to...'

Personally I have them all on, except GeekLists as often those can go on and on. The difference between this and the "usual" bb notification is that there is a differentiation from things you subscribe to, and things that are responses to your previous posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It won't scroll down for you, but if you've read a thread before, new posts are in a bright blue box.

It's very easy to see where you should pick up reading.

I do wish there was a way to just go right there, especially on multiple-page threads. It's hard to know what page you should start on.

But at least it's something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mb
hist wrote:
It won't scroll down for you, but if you've read a thread before, new posts are in a bright blue box.

Worth noting that like subscriptions, this only lasts for a month. Longer than that since your last visit, and you won't get the thick blue border (and unread subscriptions will disappear until triggered again by another post).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
hist wrote:

Worth noting that like subscriptions, this only lasts for a month. Longer than that since your last visit, and you won't get the thick blue border (and unread subscriptions will disappear until triggered again by another post).

I hope I'm never away that long!

But yes, good to know in case it happens.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hist wrote:

I do wish there was a way to just go right there, especially on multiple-page threads. It's hard to know what page you should start on.

But at least it's something.

I've noticed that feature too. But like you said, if it's a multi-page thread it can be challenging to remember where I left off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.