Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Heroes of Metro City» Forums » General

Subject: Heroes of MC Any good compared to other super hero games out there? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric T
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any one comment on if HoMC is any good?

Thinking of getting it but it doesn't seem to have the hotness of the other super hero games released recently?

Any comments or comparasons to Sentinals of the Multiverse or the Legendary games would be great.

I do own and love Sentinals, do not own Legendary.

Thank you all

Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played this heroic deck builder, and about 4 times. What I can say is that the game play video on the kickstarter page is very true to how the game plays.

I've only lost once, and all the wins were extremely close.

I have a few issues with the game. First, the players really don't get to work together. Second, it seems odd that all the heroes in a city seem to develop very similar powers. To be fair, I think these are issues in the other games too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroes of Metro City is by far the most tactical and 'hand-managing' game of the 4 big ones right now (Heroes of MC, DC, Legendary, Sentinels of the Multiverse).

DC is crazy fast with only 1 resource type. Build your deck and grab as many cards as you can to score high at the end. Fast, simple, and rather random due to the Ascension style lineup of cards that you buy from.

Sentinels of the Multiverse is probably the definitive super hero game at this moment. Fully cooperative, and challenging, and full of theme. However, it's not a deckbuilder at all, instead you play a pre-generated hero with your own tactics and powers.

I've not actually played Legendary, but tried a demo. It's also very different from the others in scope.

Heroes of Metro City requires a lot of deck management and is more tactical. First off, it has 3 'resouce' types: Plot points to buy cards, Energy to activate your powers, and Damage generated by powers to beat bad guys. At the start of the game, you are probably slotting all your energy cards (I like that you can save them from turn to turn) to get your plot cards more available to buy better powers. Once you start defeating minions, you want to start sacrificing (using the heroic sacrifice mechanic) your low plot cards so you don't gum your deck. To win this game, you're going to need to eventually develop a very slim, streamlined deck to get all the damage you need to beat the archenemy.

Now, I've played the game both cooperative and competitive. In cooperative, we all basically discuss what cards to destroy or whether or not to leave villains alone in order to keep the city alive (because the villain slowly destroys available cards). In competitive, it led to some players trying to end the game prematurely if they were behind, just so the person in front didn't win. Had a sour dog-in-a-manger feel. I like it better coordinating.

One nice thing about Heroes is that there is a distinct progression and you will be excited when you take down your first minion, or you buy the most expensive energy source, or you take out the first villain, and so on. However, the strategy will probably take at least 1 game to understand, because this game is all about efficiency. Fat decks don't do it.

However, it has a LOT of variety because there are 6 non-basic energy sources and 20 powers. You pick 2 random energies and 8 random powers each game (the only req is that there are at least 3 'attack' powers). Then choose one random archvillain. Because the powers are so incredibly integral to the game, the games feel far more varied and different than the other 3 hero games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.