trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah my group has done the same as well. The characters special abilities almost make it so it's logical that they go with a particular class.

For example, Ashran has a stun special ability, so it makes no sense for her to be a disciple and have a mace that can stun for a surge when she can do it for free anyway.

I would have almost preferred it if they would have just made each character have their own deck, but for the sake of variability i guess....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say not necessarily. Specifically with the case of Syndrael and Grisban, I feel that they almost work better with opposite classes.

Syndrael's Hero Ability hinges on her not moving during a turn, but the Knight Class has several important movement abilities like Oath of Honor, Advance, and Stalwart. [EDIT: Stalwart doesn't apply since it typically happens during the Overlord turn, and even if it were to go into effect during Syndrael's turn, she wouldn't be alive to get her Hero Ability benefit.] Grisban, on the other hand, has lower Speed, so he benefits much more from those abilities to make up for the movement he misses out on.

That said, I will often choose a class that seems thematically appropriate for a character, even if it might be slightly less valuable from a pure tactics standpoint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as we consider only the expansion characters came in then the only thematic choice for character is the one they were designed for, and often their skills add to the class. Let's look at Geomancer with high stamina use and Quellen designed to get a lot of stamina back.

But Quellen would fit well thematically both as Runemaster and Necromancer. Wizard is a wizard after all And who is to say Quellen wouldn't work better as Runemaster than Leoric or Widow?

I would say, and that might be fantasy-racism, that thematically Widow Tahra makes better Hexer than Dezra. Syndrael might(still thematically) not work well as Berserker, but would make good champion.

I would have to try those combinations out to see if those are equal, better or worse than "natural" combinations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uru uru
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The very low speed of Grisban urge me to try the berserker class with Syndrael instead.

But I have to admit, the homogeneity between class equipment, character and minis does push the player to use the default.... But would you refuse a crossbow or a relic, just because it is not represented on the mini ?

From a tactical point of view, I think that Darren made the point.

If you want a bit more of shuffle between heroes and classes get the Conversion Kit ! (We don't have 1E, so we use the mini to represent the classes and no more for the heroes)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.