GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,458 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Rules

Subject: Card Interaction with regard to Damage Types rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Noonan
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tempest's Elemental Subwave Inducer lets him choose what damage type he does and that my first (half) game last night lead to some questions.

1. Does Tempest still get to pick if Ra's Imbued Fire is in play forcing hero attacks to do fire damage?

2. If Tempest still picks does that actually effect the attack or only his resistance to that element? So the attack would be fire because of Imbued Fire but Tempest might be resistant to lightning because that's the element he chose with Elemental Subwave Inducer (and Baron Blade's stupid flashback gadget does lightning damage).

3. If Megalopolis' Close Quarters is in effect how does that work with Imbued Fire? Are hero attacks Fire or Melee if both of those are out?

BTW, the flaming hail caused by Tempest and Ra was kind of cool but the fire department has asked that they not do that any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
The general ruling is that you should always follow the order that cards are played in when it comes to changing damage type. The most recently played card always has priority. So if one card changes all damage to fire, and a card is played later that changes all damage to melee, then all damage is considered to be melee.

If Elemental Subwave Inducer was played before Imbued Fire, then all attacks by Tempest would be fire (because Imbued Fire would "overwrite" it), but Tempest could still pick which damage type he is resistant to. If Elemental Subwave Inducer was played after Imbued Fire, then the damage type that Tempest chooses would affect both his attacks and his resistance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Putts wrote:
The general ruling is that you should always follow the order that cards are played in when it comes to changing damage type. The most recently played card always has priority. So if one card changes all damage to fire, and a card is played later that changes all damage to melee, then all damage is considered to be melee.

If Elemental Subwave Inducer was played before Imbued Fire, then all attacks by Tempest would be fire (because Imbued Fire would "overwrite" it), but Tempest could still pick which damage type he is resistant to. If Elemental Subwave Inducer was played after Imbued Fire, then the damage type that Tempest chooses would affect both his attacks and his resistance.

I seem to remember from a discussion on the greater than games site that fixed damage type changes apply in the order played, then choice based changes (twist the ether was what was being discussed) come after, so if Tempest chose lightning, that is the type he would deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
abredon wrote:
Putts wrote:

I seem to remember from a discussion on the greater than games site that fixed damage type changes apply in the order played, then choice based changes (twist the ether was what was being discussed) come after, so if Tempest chose lightning, that is the type he would deal.

It's funny, because while I've never actually seen that ruling, I was tempted to write a short blurb stating that I believe that's the way that things SHOULD work. I just didn't want to end up confusing the OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Noonan
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Putts wrote:

I read that cards take effect in the order played but I was looking at is the first card played wins and others are disregarded. Thinking it through a bit more it makes sense that the first one changes to fire, the next one to melee or whatever and a player choice, like Tempest's ESI, should be considered the last "card" played and let him choose what to do.

Having to remember the order cards were played is one thing that I very much dislike about the game. I can see where it won't come up often but I really think it needs a cleaner solution. Stopping the game to hash out which card came first just seems wrong, especially as it breaks the flow of the story that seems central to the fun of this game. Only 0.6 games in so maybe not as bad as it seems.

Thanks the assistance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awfki wrote:
Having to remember the order cards were played is one thing that I very much dislike about the game. I can see where it won't come up often but I really think it needs a cleaner solution.

This is the one area where my group uses a house rule. After discussion, we decided that if the order in which cards were played cannot be determined by an observer just entering the room, then the players decide on the order of execution.

As you say, the matter does not come up often, but when it does, it can be difficult... or impossible... to remember when cards in different tableaus entered play. (Cards in the same tableau are always in order, of course.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Noonan
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
Awfki wrote:
Having to remember the order cards were played is one thing that I very much dislike about the game. I can see where it won't come up often but I really think it needs a cleaner solution.

This is the one area where my group uses a house rule. After discussion, we decided that if the order in which cards were played cannot be determined by an observer just entering the room, then the players decide on the order of execution.

I've already adopted another house rule (that I think I found on the forums) that allows the heroes to change their turn order each turn. It seems very thematic in letting them set each other up or letting someone take out an environment card that impacts all of them.

I'm thinking my house rule for order played will be that if we can't quickly determine the order we'll use the current turn order of the heroes. I'm planning on markers numbered 1-5 so that will be obvious. Sometimes that will out for them and sometimes it won't but I'm cool that as long I don't have to number all the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
Awfki wrote:
I've already adopted another house rule (that I think I found on the forums) that allows the heroes to change their turn order each turn. It seems very thematic in letting them set each other up or letting someone take out an environment card that impacts all of them.

I think that's bordering on abuse of game mechanics, personally, with all of the abilities that say "X effect happens until the start of your hero's next turn". So, for example, you could have Legacy go first on Round 1, use Galvanize, and then have him go last on Round 2, so that all heroes get 2 rounds' worth of Galvanize when Legacy only had to use it once.

But hey, if it makes the game more enjoyable to you, then knock yourselves out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.