Subject: Restructuring: The first auto-include since Hedge Fund? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This is obviously going into BABW and GRNDL, but what I want to know is whether or not it will go into any deck, just like Hedge Fund. What do you think?

Personally I don't see any deck, regardless of faction, ID or strategy that I wouldn't want to include Restructuring in. A turn (obv not the first!) consisting of Hedge Fund>click for credit>Restructuring is a very good turn IMO. And it gets even better if you didn't need to click for credit in order to play Restructuring. I'm going to stick a playset of this bad boy into every deck I make.

But am I being silly here? Am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lysander
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
I'm definitely not including that in my Jinteki deck. Sure, I go above 10c (hell, I have a Janus), but more often than not I'm focusing on maintaining at least 8c.

Jackson Howard, on the other hand...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If there was an operation that cost 100 credits and yielded 1000 credits, I assume you wouldn't use it. So there must be some point at which the cost is too high regardless of the yield.

I'm not sure 10 credits is cheap enough for *every* deck, but for most decks it probably is. I would guess 15 would be too high for most decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Keane
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Pictured: Rags Raggerson, successful businesscat
mb
kroen wrote:
But am I being silly here? Am I missing something?

Having a dead card in your hand because you got hit by Account Siphon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Twice
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
I think it's a great card but I think it will only be common in Weyland for at least some time.

I could be wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bowker
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Requiring 5 additional credits to net +1. No thanks. Sure, comparing the cost of Beanstalk to Hedge Fund and the +1 credit gain seems like the same difference, but the majority of the time I don't want to be worried about storing 10 credits or end up with a dead card draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton R.
Russia
flag msg tools
mb
I don't see this card in any of my decks besides waylend tagnbag may be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DrTall wrote:
If there was an operation that cost 100 credits and yielded 1000 credits, I assume you wouldn't use it. So there must be some point at which the cost is too high regardless of the yield.

I'm not sure 10 credits is cheap enough for *every* deck, but for most decks it probably is. I would guess 15 would be too high for most decks.

I know there's a lot of excitement for this card, so I think the thread's question is worth asking, but as an anecdote, this probably won't show up in very many of my decks. Based on that, I'd hazard a guess that 10 credits is near the breakover point for when we do and don't like larger versions of this card - it just remains to be seen which near side it falls on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lysander
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Heres to hoping we see a Corp card to the effect of:

"Play an operation, ignoring all costs".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
lluluien wrote:
DrTall wrote:

I know there's a lot of excitement for this card, so I think the thread's question is worth asking, but as an anecdote, this probably won't show up in very many of my decks. Based on that, I'd hazard a guess that 10 credits is near the breakover point for when we do and don't like larger versions of this card - it just remains to be seen which near side it falls on.

This probably won't see play in my NBN deck - I'm used to floating around at below 10cr.

That said, big money Weyland or HB decks might want it - it'll come down to personal taste. But auto-include? I strongly doubt it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to be dense, but what card are you guys talking about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that a number of people are going to take the approach: "I cant get up to $10 anyway, so I wont play this".

I think thats not the correct idea. The correct idea is: "Okay, this card is great, but I need to get up to $10. How can I get up to $10?"

And then doing it by adding more burst economy to their deck, burst up to $10, play it, and have lots of money to sustain you for a while.

Its definitely not auto include in all decks. Hedge fund is the best turn 1 card, because you always can play it. But it causes you to WANT to play the type of deck than CAN play it effectively. It warps your deckbuilding considerations and card evaluations considerably. Getting up to $10 at some point becomes a lot more important.

It makes you want to:

* Choose burst econ over drip econ.
* Play more very cheap, and more expensive ice, and less mid cost ice. (You dont want to blow your money on a Bastion. You'd rather play an Ice Wall, still get up to $10, play this, and then rez Tollbooth).

Finally, it makes Account Siphon even better, for two reasons. One, if you prevent thenm from getting to 10, thats awesome. Two, if they DO get to 10 and go to 15 with Restructuring, then your Siphon will steal money for sure. They arent going to be abel to blow all the money rezzing ice on HQ and then rezzing a SanSan or something, because they have too much money. Or rezzing a trace ice and blowing all the money into it (well they can do that, but they lose too much).

Right now I think that burst econ cards are generally a bit better than long term econ cards, but that its not clear in all cases. There are cases where its the other way around, and meta that dont include Whizzard and Bank Job where the drip eocn cards are strong. But this card is going to be the nail in the coffin for drip econ, imo. Its going to be a lot more rewarding to get up to $10 and play this, than to play Pads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Azgard12 wrote:
Sorry to be dense, but what card are you guys talking about?

But why male models?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collin Lysford
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Definitely far from an auto-include, except maybe for GRNDL. (Even GRNDL, it depends on the exact deck - it's a dominant T1 play for them, like Hedge Fund, but GRNDL wants to be spending its money as fast as humanly possible, making it harmful in other contexts.)

The thing about Hedge Fund is that you can trigger it with your first action. It makes a lot of Corp openings stronger. With Restructuring, you need to get to 10c before you can use it. In the opening game, this practically translates into not rezzing Ice on your centrals, aside from the rare ones that pay for themselves.

The thing to remember is that even Hedge Fund's 5 cred threshold can be orenous - it just gets a pass because of it's supreme dominance as a turn 1, click 1 play. If you look at what Restructuring means in the early game - "Gain a Hedge Fund, +1 credit, but you have to let the Runner hit all of your Centrals for free for a turn" - it's pretty clearly problematic.

EDIT: So basicially what Alex said. Restructuring is definitely not an auto-include like Hedge fund. It's weakness is most mitigated with bimodal ICE costs, going for very cheap or paying for themselves, and then big heavy hitters. Weyland is probably the best faction for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GRNDL can rez a Janus on the first turn of the runner with this card. BABW too, but it'd have to play Hedge Fund first. And true, you can do this much more cheaply with Oversight AI or Bioroid Efficiency Research, but then it's not a surprise. I mean come on, who expects a Janus on the first turn? (Well depending on the meta, people might start to expect it, which is awesome because the threat of it alone would keep runners at bay.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really inflexible and situational, I don't think it is even an auto-include in BaBW. Really good, but not auto-include.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that this card makes Celebrity Gift even better, imo.
You get out some ice, to start. Then you go: Celebrity Gift, Restructuring. Up to $15! Rez all the ice, do whatever you want. Only needs $3 to get the process going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collin Lysford
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kroen wrote:
GRNDL can rez a Janus on the first turn of the runner with this card. BABW too, but it'd have to play Hedge Fund first. And true, you can do this much more cheaply with Oversight AI or Bioroid Efficiency Research, but then it's not a surprise. I mean come on, who expects a Janus on the first turn? (Well depending on the meta, people might start to expect it, which is awesome because the threat of it alone would keep runners at bay.)

A T1 Janus would be a pretty weak play if you got this Restructuring off. Either you put it on HQ (and then you managed to get 15c without establishing a remote OR defending R&D) or you don't put it on HQ, and then you're totally vulnerable to Shutdown, Siphon, etc.

Rushing out a couple of Brain Damage is a pretty poor use of Rush credits. Put some token protection on your Centrals, establish a two-ICE remote, and rush through some sweet, sweet agendas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The card I am cutting for this card might be Melange. The days of spending your whole turn, and using your agenda server for melange, might be mostly nearing an end, once this is printed.

The days of using Jackson Howard to draw 2 cards, and playing lots of burst econ cards, are here. He also shuffles them back in.
Draw 2 with Howard, play a burst econ card, install a thing in my remote. Thats a great turn! You run the thing, its a SanSan, or Bernice Mai, or something. Next turn: Draw 2, play a burst econ card, install a card in my remote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would use it with core Weyland or core Haas-Bioroid, but probably not that often with anything else unless as Alexfrog says I built a deck around being able to play it. I like my cash to be more flexible than what this card is asking of me.

Nor do I put much faith into "magic" starting hands where I somehow have exactly the perfect combination of cards to play some ridiculous theoretical starting combo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip von Doomula
United States
Hermon
ME
flag msg tools
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
badge
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are wooden cubes from boardgaming. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
mbmbmbmbmb
GRNDL is going to love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny And The
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think I will probably replace my two copies of successful demonstration with this card in my BaBW deck. Its not an easy decision though, they are both situational. This will free up some influence to upgrade ice though.

One minor nitpick. Its hard to tell with the glare but I believe the card is called restructure not restructuring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Villareal
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
We'll see a lot of this in Weyland.

We'll some hints of this in HB.

It'll show up once or twice in NBN.

Rarer than bigfoot in 'teki. Although...Celeb Gift + Restructuring turn 3 credits and 3 clicks into 15 credits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OddCrow19 wrote:
We'll see a lot of this in Weyland.

We'll some hints of this in HB.

It'll show up once or twice in NBN.

Rarer than bigfoot in 'teki. Although...Celeb Gift + Restructuring turn 3 credits and 3 clicks into 15 credits.

I disagree. I think it will become very heavily played in all factions. (And in every Weyland deck).

Its a massive boost to Corporations. Its worth building around. Its worth warping your deck for.

Its not 'auto' include. But its going to be quite prevalent.

I think it'll be like Kati Jones. Does EVERY runner deck play Kati Jones? No. Does ALMOST every runner deck paly Kati Jones? Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OddCrow19 wrote:

This is exactly why it won't be rare at all in Jinteki. It's pretty much an auto-include in any deck running Celebrity Gift, and Celebrity Gift is an auto-include in every Jinteki deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.