Popular Tags: [View All]
Cesar Pena
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good point, although the odds of a tie are very low. Especially because the situation you are describing would need of everyone in your group getting the same number of tiles of each color. This is something that rarely happens (never happened to me thus far). If that is the case, I bet there would be a lot of different variables in the game that will act as tie breakers. Still, I'm just a casual gamer talking from his experience. I'd love to know the opinion of a gamer-mathematician on this matter. What I like from having two sets though, is to have more tiles in play. Especially if you're just playing with the magical buildings expansion, six are not enough. I might actually order one more set. Thanks for your post!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tomkinsondale wrote:
May be it's an odd situation that a triple tie in a colour could happen, but it does happen every time with two players.

? What do you mean "every time"? There are no guaranteed ties ever, whether you're playing 2 player, 3 player, or whatever.

In the base game, there are 7,9, and 11 tiles. So in both 2 and 3 player games, brown and the white can have a 3 way tie with 3 tiles each, while the other tiles can have 2 way ties (2-2-1 etc).

If you add in 1 set of the magical buildings, you get 8,10, and 12. Now, green and purple can have 3 way ties, the other colours 2 way ties at most.

If you add in 2 sets of the magical buildings, you get 9,11, and 13. Now, blue and red can have 3 way ties, the other colours 2 way ties at most.

All you've done by adding two sets vs one is switch around which colours might have 3 way ties. Which happens anyway even without the expansion, depending on player count.

On top of all this, there's no guarantee that all tiles will end up owned as well, because often there's a tie in money for the last tiles, and no one gets the freebies at the end.

I don't think ties are worth worrying about at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.