Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Monster Limit vs. GOO Awakening Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zombie Joe
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's something I'm not really understanding regarding the monster limit rules vs the Great Old One's awakening.

According to all of the rules I read, the GOO will awaken if Monster Limit x 2 is reached.

So if you are playing a 2 player game, the Monster Limit should be: 2 players + 3 = 5 monsters.

At the same time, outskirt limit would be: 8 - 2 players = 6 monsters.

So if there are 5 monsters in Arkham and 6 in the outskirts, that's 11 monsters total. Wouldn't that be 2 x the Monster Limit, and thus the GOO awakens? Or am I understanding this wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, you misunderstand. The AO wakes up at twice the Monster Limit - but only if the Terror Level is at 10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Lj
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I could be wrong, but I believe it's just the monsters in arkham, not counting the outskirts. This can only be hit if the terror level hits 10, which then removes the Arkham Monster Limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie Joe wrote:
There's something I'm not really understanding regarding the monster limit rules vs the Great Old One's awakening.

According to all of the rules I read, the GOO will awaken if Monster Limit x 2 is reached.

So if you are playing a 2 player game, the Monster Limit should be: 2 players + 3 = 5 monsters.

At the same time, outskirt limit would be: 8 - 2 players = 6 monsters.

So if there are 5 monsters in Arkham and 6 in the outskirts, that's 11 monsters total. Wouldn't that be 2 x the Monster Limit, and thus the GOO awakens? Or am I understanding this wrong?

You are understanding very wrong. If the monster limit on the board is 5, then the Ancient One will awaken when the board reaches 10 monsters. This only happens when the terror level reaches level 10. At level 10 terror, there is no longer a monster limit. So more than 5 monsters will be allowed on the board. As soon as double the original monster limit is actually in Arkham, the Ancient One awakens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ho ho! Double ninja

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zombie Joe
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh... I get it now Sorry. Must've missed the part where the Terror Level had to be 10.

Thank you for the clarification. Much appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie Joe wrote:
Ahh... I get it now Sorry. Must've missed the part where the Terror Level had to be 10.

Thank you for the clarification. Much appreciated!
No problem - get used to it with AH, there's always something that you overlook. But that's why this forum exists, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.