Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
I admit it... I am a Euro-gaming snob.
badge
My 2018 Mustang GT
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking about it too-ratings aren't exactly stellar which is causing me to hesitate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
Chessferret wrote:
I Kickstarted this game and like it a lot. My family plays this game often. I like the challenge of playing yellow which starts in Los Angeles which has to build tracks over the mountains. The cards are key to making this game complete otherwise red would win most of the time. Red starts at top but not "high enough". The components are quality. Ticket to ride has a lot of luck like this game but this game is better because you have to make your track from beginning to end (no laying tracks somewhere down the line in a pre-assigned format). I would recommend this game. Sorry I wrote this after the sale.

This is great to read. I also Kickstarted the game but haven't been able to get it to the table with my family yet.

A few questions if you have a moment:

* How long is the game usually taking to play in your experience and with how many players?

* Are you playing with the cards or without?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Frahm
United States
Queen Creek
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
silverbowen wrote:
I'm giving a lot of thought to getting this for my son (currently four). He won't be able to play without some help, but he loves rolling dice in games like King of Tokyo and loves trains. It's down to $19 or so, which seems like a good deal, given the multitude of components.

Does this game have a lot of toy factor? Is the gameplay simple enough that younger kids (5-6, mainly) can play it with some assistance? Will it bore daddy to tears (like Ticket to Ride)?

Thanks everyone (assuming anyone responds).

Less than stellar reviews from Tom and Eric on the October 1st Dice Tower episode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
Chessferret wrote:
This a very good family game because it introduces non-gamers to the hobby but not the best train game that Eagle has made. Railways of the World is the best.

Excellent, thanks for this feedback and information!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Skaufel
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chessferret wrote:
silverbowen wrote:
I'm giving a lot of thought to getting this for my son (currently four). He won't be able to play without some help, but he loves rolling dice in games like King of Tokyo and loves trains. It's down to $19 or so, which seems like a good deal, given the multitude of components.

Does this game have a lot of toy factor? Is the gameplay simple enough that younger kids (5-6, mainly) can play it with some assistance? Will it bore daddy to tears (like Ticket to Ride)?

Thanks everyone (assuming anyone responds).

I Kickstarted this game and like it a lot. My family plays this game often. I like the challenge of playing yellow which starts in Los Angeles which has to build tracks over the mountains. The cards are key to making this game complete otherwise red would win most of the time. Red starts at top but not "high enough". The components are quality. Ticket to ride has a lot of luck like this game but this game is better because you have to make your track from beginning to end (no laying tracks somewhere down the line in a pre-assigned format). I would recommend this game. Sorry I wrote this after the sale.

I also kickstarted it, but am yet to receive my copy. Apparently it's stuck in customs. Nice that it's already on saleshake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rather just play RotW. Here are my thoughts, from this week's Phoenix GCL:

http://boardgamegeek.com/listitem/2982209?commentid=4304683#...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mcsittel wrote:
Thinking about it too-ratings aren't exactly stellar which is causing me to hesitate.

Low ratings would especially from gamers expecting a Railways of the World experience. This is very different, and doesn't have much in common aside from similar components. It's a simple race game suitable for children 6 and up.

In answer to the original poster: yes it does have high toy factor, and 5-6 year olds could play it with some help. Optimizing your dice and track building does require some thought, which means there's much more going on than a roll-and-move type game, and should help you stay engaged as a parent. This is definitely a game targeted towards children aged 6-10, and I've had fun playing several times with my younger daughters (aged 9 and 11).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
silverbowen wrote:
It's down to $19 or so, which seems like a good deal, given the multitude of components.

now down to $14.99 (today's daily sale)

wondering if it's worth it for the bits now... maybe someone can turn it into a non-kid's game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.