Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Is it to scale? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is an interactive version.....

http://www.merzo.net/index.html
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Woodworth
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HawkeyeLonewolf wrote:
TIE Fighters too big?


Actually the Fighters are exactly the right size. FFG got the specs for them from ILM/LucasArts and built the models to scale.

In fact X-Wing is the most accurate scale models we have access to.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a cool graphic, saw it over the weekend. Though, I was a little dissapointed that the Normandy from Mass Effect was missing.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't I see some geeks complaining about the A-Wings being wrong scale?

-shnar
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swedge Swedge
msg tools
needs space battleship yamato
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Woodworth
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Didn't I see some geeks complaining about the A-Wings being wrong scale?


There has been some. According to LA/ILM the official size of the A-Wing is 9.6m (31ft). However if you use one of the backgrounds from RotJ, and compare the A-Wing to a Y-Wing it's closer to 12-18 feet long.

So it all depends on what you consider Canon, Lucas Arts measurement or the fan based measurement based on a matte painting used as a background.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Airborne Engineer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VanorDM wrote:
shnar wrote:
Didn't I see some geeks complaining about the A-Wings being wrong scale?


There has been some. According to LA/ILM the official size of the A-Wing is 9.6m (31ft). However if you use one of the backgrounds from RotJ, and compare the A-Wing to a Y-Wing it's closer to 12-18 feet long.

So it all depends on what you consider Canon, Lucas Arts measurement or the fan based measurement based on a matte painting used as a background.


Yes but the background pictures were matte paintings and many were done with little information from Lucas on scales and details. If you compare the matte painting to the models you can see vast differences between the two. I read an interview with one of the primary matte painters and he worked at night on the project and the models were stored for security and secrecy reasons. He had to make much of it up to paint the banckgrounds. In fact, his original painting for the Falcon in the Death Star's hanger had two cockpits. He did not have 360 degree designs to go off of and just assumed it had to be symetricals. SO a matte painting as reference for the size of the A-Wing is just as accurate as a matte painting with two cockpits on the Falcon.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Woodworth
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Airborne Engineer wrote:
Yes but the background pictures were matte paintings and many were done with little information from Lucas on scales and details.


Yeah I've heard that. Which is all the more reason to not consider those images as valid sources.

I already consider the idea that the A-Wing is 12-18feet long to be pretty weak, you can't use photoshop to drag a image on top of another image and honestly expect to get 100% accurate results in terms of scale.

Add to that the fact that Lucas Arts has said that the A-Wing is 9.6m long, and the argument becomes even weaker. You can't claim using photoshop on a background image as a higher level of canon then a statement from Lucas Arts itself.

The fact that the person doing the painting didn't even know how big to make the A-Wing and there's simply no way the argument can hold up.

So the A-Wing model we have is the proper scale.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.