Subject: Seeking donations for a youth library gaming program rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Murphy
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Hi everyone,

I originally posted this thread in the "BoardGameGeek Community" forum and I had a few people suggest I try posting it here too. The original thread received a very inspiring response, and I received donations and offers from users dogzard, Jackflash, and the_triangle_man, all to whom I am deeply grateful. Here is my situation:

I recently became employed by the youth/young adult department of a public library in Florida. Naturally, the first thing I did once I got into the library was start planning a gaming program. Starting in January 2014, I'll be hosting a program called "Kids Got Game!" where I'll be introducing local 8-12 year olds to the kinds of weirdo indie board games that hobbyists like you and I are into.

As of right now, the library does not own a single board game besides "Scrabble" and "Sorry!" Unfortunately, our budget is not huge and I'm not going to be able to purchase as many games as I'd like for the program. I know that the Board Game Geek community is not only full of experts, it's also remarkably generous. So I decided to turn to you all for support! Any games you have that you'd be willing to donate would be much appreciated and would really help me introduce this great hobby to a community that's never seen it before.

Please reply to this thread or shoot me a PM if you have anything you'd be willing to donate. If you'd like more details on myself and the library I'm working for, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Thank you,

Derek Murphy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larson
Hong Kong
Discovery Bay
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
To find your true identity within the will of Tze Yo Tzuh...that is the highest of all freedoms.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's some bag to enter some of the Games for Geek Gold lottery offerings. I'll keep you in mind if I win anything that fits your club. Good luck with it - it sounds like a great program.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Murphy
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Thanks so much, Amirabutwo! I've never participated in a BGG lottery before, but it looks like a great opportunity and a lot of fun too! I'll see if I can score something for the kids using the gold you so kindly sent me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Willett
United States
Chapel Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
www.blacklocustgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if this would be in your interest or not but I would be willing to ship.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/42487/lost-cities-the...
and
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1294/clue

Clue is still in shrink. Never opened. Won it at an xmas party and just never cracked it open and probably never will since I am past that type of game.

geekmail me the addy and the items you are interested in and I will get them out ASAP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Murphy
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Thanks so much, magicman6173! Both of those games would fit in great with my program. Lost Cities looks like a lot of fun, and it'll be useful to have Clue ready to go since a lot of kids already know how it's played. Could be a good segue into Kill Doctor Lucky too! I'll dispatch a geekmail your way presently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Willett
United States
Chapel Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
www.blacklocustgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to help! It is incredibly fulfilling to be able to help out for programs such as this. We will also send you a copy of our first release once we have it printed although it may be some time early next year. Take care friend and happy gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lewandowski
United States
St. Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of the Box games often seeks nominations for worthy people/causes and chooses one to send a bunch of Out of the Box games to.
I nominated a friend who runs games at the Vernon Hills library and he won a ton of games. Look at their web site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lewandowski
United States
St. Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of the Box games often seeks nominations for worthy people/causes and chooses one to send a bunch of Out of the Box games to.
I nominated a friend who runs games at the Vernon Hills library and he won a ton of games. Look at their web site.

Some games companies may also be willing to donate..it doesn't hurt to ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Murphy
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Thanks for the tip, Lewk1700! I've actually already contacted Out of the Box Games and they sent me two copies of Snake Oil, because they are awesome. It looks like a great game.

I also just heard back from Looney Labs, who are donating eight games, which is just plain ridiculous! laugh

There are definitely some really generous and community-minded games companies out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Young
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Where in Florida are you? I might have a few to donate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Murphy
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
EchoOperative, I'm in Port Charlotte, FL. I hope that's not too far from you!

I'd like to give a huge shout-out to magicman6173, whose donations of "Lost Cities The Board Game" and "Clue" just reached the library! He is THE MAN.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.