Doron David
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone. Newbie here. Realized after drafting this there are several pinned articles to the forum. Will take a look, but appreciate any constructive feedback.

I have developed mobile games for the past 3 years so I have some understanding with gaming overall in my opinion. As a family, we started playing board games and have been for the past 2 years. Our game library has grown drastically just in the past 6 months. I decided to mix pleasure with business and had few ideas for producing an actual board game. Regardless to whether it is a good idea or not, I started researching the process of creating the game. I found a site which you can have them make games for you and sell through their site, which I was thinking of using to create a prototype. I'm not posting its link as it might be considered as spam.

Then, my understanding is that you can start a kickstarter project if you decide to pursue it all on your own, which my understanding is that (assuming successful) you raise the money for at least the minimum amount of games required by the manufacturing company such as PandaGM, ship it to either yourself or a distributing company warehouse. Is the sole role of the distributer to ship to designations you tell them?

The other option I understand is that you can approach a publisher which if he likes the pitch will take care of every aspect, while you retain mostly the intellectual property, which is good to get your name out there that way.

I understand neither of these options is an easy task, just trying to get the technicality down, as I’m a bit confused searching online for some time.
Best,
Doron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the BGG.

TheGameCrafter? Yes, it is an option.

Selling your game to a publisher is exactly that. You sold it and the rights to it to them for a paycheck or royalty. You should though try to get a return clause if they fail to publish after XYZ time frame or close down.

Distributors Im not sure on so will leave that one for more experienced hands to explain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Teixeira
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
karuzo wrote:
I found a site which you can have them make games for you and sell through their site, which I was thinking of using to create a prototype. I'm not posting its link as it might be considered as spam.

It's fine to talk about The Game Crafter (I assume you mean them) and it won't be considered spam (in this context).

karuzo wrote:
Is the sole role of the distributer to ship to designations you tell them?

Depends on your agreement with them. They can also act as a storefront for you. E.g. You can use Amazon for distribution and then also have them warehouse your game to later sell directly to the public, or you could approach Alliance and see if they will take your game and sell it to retailers, etc.

karuzo wrote:
The other option I understand is that you can approach a publisher which if he likes the pitch will take care of every aspect, while you retain mostly the intellectual property, which is good to get your name out there that way.

Not entirely true. It will depend on your contract, but it's usually a good idea to have the IP revert back to you after a set period of unpublished time (usually a few years), so that if a publisher sits on it for too long, you can then sell your idea off to another publisher (or self-publish). Otherwise you normally give the IP rights over to a publisher to use as they wish.

I'd strongly recommend starting your voyage by looking at the sticky posts on the design forum and taking a look at James Mathe's and Jamey Stegmaier's blogs. Both of those are a wealth of information about the publishing world.

Best of luck. Also, I hope you realize that it is really, really hard to make a good living off of game design. Most do this out of passion rather than money. (So don't quit your day job!)

P.S. There are also some good facebook groups that'll be very welcoming and helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doron David
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks John - I did mean GameCrafter. Makes sense what you are saying about the return clause.

Best,

Doron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doron David
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Val - yes, I meant GameCrafter. Good to know it was ok to mention. I once got banned off a forum to mention a certain site. Better safe than sorry.

Now I know I can and should negotiate what I need for distribution with a distributer.

I'm going to check these blogs you mentioned.

Best,

Doron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doron David
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also - Val - I do realize the part of making money with this. As a mobile game developer I understood a while back there is just a slight chance to get somewhere.

Best,

Doron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.