Earth Reborn» Forums » General

Subject: 1st game questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sechzger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So i just jumped into scenario 2 with my friend.
I ve got some questions:
1) Will we get faster at set up?
2) I placed Jack Saw on the stairs facing the sleeping room.
By doing this i basically have shut down the person inside this room, because as soon as this person opens the door i can just interrupt and hopefully win the duell. From there i just need to take care of the other 2 norad figures.
Did i get that right?

3) The Norad player has to destroy one door, because as soon as he uses the card he will go into the chapel and then the card is lost for the rest. Right?

4) When would you say the "real" game starts?

I hope you get what i am asking for. Thx for your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished my first game with Scenario 1. I found setup to be pretty easy, thanks to the way I organized the box (no baggies; all stored in the appropriate slots (I solved the "puzzle"). I also felt that, albeit short and somewhat limited, the first scenario was still enjoyable and a complete "game," just not as intense/complex as later scenarios, obviously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Shepherdson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I stored it in the proper slots of the box but it took me around 30-40 minutes to set up. Well it was my first game too. I was lucky to win the first scenario by using a 5x run in 1 round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Lauke
Germany
Görlitz
Sachsen
flag msg tools
badge
Sponsored by AR147
mb
Quote:

No, don't think so. It always take 30 - 40 min. Later there are a lot of cards, bigger maps and much more to take care of. This is really annoying.

Quote:
By doing this i basically have shut down the person inside this room, because as soon as this person opens the door i can just interrupt and hopefully win the duell. From there i just need to take care of the other 2 norad figures. Did i get that right?

You can do so. But it is hard to kill a healthy character in only one interrupt. You also need a good order tile. And you have to be lucky enough to roll many hits. Futhermore you attack melee, which makes it also nearly impossible to kill this character. But its a good strategy. Try it.

Quote:
3) The Norad player has to destroy one door, because as soon as he uses the card he will go into the chapel and then the card is lost for the rest. Right?

Norad player don't has to destroy the door. He can pass the card. So he can wait with one character in front of a door and use an other in his next turn to go into the chapel. Then in his next turn he can go with the waiting character into the chapel.

Quote:

Maybe if you try the S.A.G.S.??? We played until scenario 6 so far and my feelings are still dissatisfied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sechzger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Referrring to 2: I don#t say i killed him. I just stood in the door and the person was not able to move out of his romm. Did i get sth wrong?

Referrring to 3: Ok so Vasquez gets the card and goers in front of a key door. Bolter comes to this door too and takes the card from here while they stand on the same field. The he opens the door and before he moves in he gives the key back to Vasqeuez?
Right?

Referring to 4: It just felt like theere weren't that many options in Scenario 2. Will that change?

Quote:
By doing this i basically have shut down the person inside this room, because as soon as this person opens the door i can just interrupt and hopefully win the duell. From there i just need to take care of the other 2 norad figures. Did i get that right?

You can do so. But it is hard to kill a healthy character in only one interrupt. You also need a good order tile. And you have to be lucky enough to roll many hits. Futhermore you attack melee, which makes it also nearly impossible to kill this character. But its a good strategy. Try it.

Quote:

Norad player don't has to destroy the door. He can pass the card. So he can wait with one character in front of a door and use an other in his next turn to go into the chapel. Then in his next turn he can go with the waiting character into the chapel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Stoklas
Slovakia
Bansk√° Bystrica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
recallme wrote:

Referring to 4: It just felt like theere weren't that many options in Scenario 2. Will that change?

That will be changed even in third scenario. First two scenarios use really basic rules. I think the best starts in 4th and getting better and better . But I started to like Earth Reborn when the shooting was introduced. (First two scenarios sucks).And SAGS is just a master piece. It moves Earth Reborn from scenario playing somewhere else.Somewhere beyond.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
msg tools
Jordan Kane wrote:
Quote:

No, don't think so. It always take 30 - 40 min. Later there are a lot of cards, bigger maps and much more to take care of. This is really annoying.

Yes I'm almost sure. In my own common experience it takes me 10-15 mins to prepare any tutorial play, SAGS build map aside. I do not use the tray, how it was designed..(got nearly 100 plays, cca 60% were tutorial maps, so far.) And if I have a 'helper' it gets even faster..rly
Once you'll have your own system how to store and how to effectively 'build out of box' according to the picture, you'll find the setup time just normal and fine.. just a matter of practice/time/effort.
cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Holmstrom
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
recallme wrote:
So i just jumped into scenario 2 with my friend.
I ve got some questions:
By doing this i basically have shut down the person inside this room, because as soon as this person opens the door i can just interrupt and hopefully win the duell. From there i just need to take care of the other 2 norad figures.
Did i get that right?

I hope you get what i am asking for. Thx for your help.

1) Yes. It will never be a 10 minute setup time but with experience comes faster setup.

2-3) We skipped scenario 2 so I can't answer.

4) Scenario 3 was fun, but scenario 4 was when the game really "blossomed" for us. We played it twice in a row and seriously considered playing it again but moved on to scenario 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Van den Broeck
Belgium
Zwijndrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Setting up is 10-15 minutes, 20 with SAGS.

2) This is indeed a good strategy. In later games, the salemite character can search a shooting weapon, open the door, shoot at Jack and close again. It is a very dangerous strategy to go in a room where there is no way out, or to deploy in a room with only one exit...

3) already answered.

4) It's been a while since i played the scenario's. I remember that it got more and more interesting up to the scenario where they introduced shooting. But the scenario's where they introduced searching were rather dull. I believe it is scenario 7 or 8 (where all the order tile icons are explained and where you can read your own IPS line and use equipments to handle really cool equipments), then it got interesting. The last scenario's each introduce pretty specific things (like the mammoth or the radio scrambler). Then it's time to go to SAGS.

P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SAGS is where the game really shines. I found the scenarios, with few exceptions, fairly boring but then we just took them as part of the learning experience. They are designed to highlight certain game mechanics which they do very well. I know others really like them or at least some of them but for us it was obvious what had to be done so we felt a lack of freedom.

Setting up in SAGS is fun and a key part of the game so the time it takes became a non issue for us.

As to keys you can pass to or from during movement. So you can take a key, use it on a door, pass it back then move on. This is a common tactic and the scenario book does bring this up at some stage, perhaps in a later scenario. With combined orders you can do more complex movement which can be important for sliding doors which close at the end of a players activation.

On your point 2 I think I did the same thing but failed the interrupt. From that I learned not to skimp on CP's when an interrupt is crucial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.