Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: 2 more questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
Avatar
mb
1 - Bunyip and Caltrops?
2 - What is a 'type' for the purpose of Augury?

Thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
????
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1. The evasion power of the caltrops always works. If you do not evade it and you fail the wisdom check you will not be able to use the caltrops to defeat it since it is now a difficulty 10 check.

2. Type would be monster, weapon, spell, etc.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
Avatar
mb
Mundane wrote:
1. The evasion power of the caltrops always works. If you do not evade it and you fail the wisdom check you will not be able to use the caltrops to defeat it since it is now a difficulty 10 check.

2. Type would be monster, weapon, spell, etc.


Is there not a window between revealing the bane and using the Caltrops? if not that's fine i just wanted to check

and regarding Augury, is henchman and villain a discrete 'sub-type' are are they captured by the overall 'monster' type?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Trowell
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
As far as I understand, evading an encoutenr means that you ignore completly the card, so you don't even get to the point of rolling wisdom, and don't take pre-combat damage from some monsters like the enchanter.

If you roll the wisdom check, then you are already encountering the monster and it's too late to evade.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hatfield
United States
Mt. Vernon
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jtrowell wrote:
As far as I understand, evading an encoutenr means that you ignore completly the card, so you don't even get to the point of rolling wisdom, and don't take pre-combat damage from some monsters like the enchanter.

If you roll the wisdom check, then you are already encountering the monster and it's too late to evade.


Correct.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian @BoardGameMonster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If in doubt about timing, check out the Turn sequence doc!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
Avatar
mb
Faded wrote:
jtrowell wrote:
As far as I understand, evading an encoutenr means that you ignore completly the card, so you don't even get to the point of rolling wisdom, and don't take pre-combat damage from some monsters like the enchanter.

If you roll the wisdom check, then you are already encountering the monster and it's too late to evade.


Correct.


but is it too late to defeat?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
Avatar
mb
boardgamemonster wrote:
If in doubt about timing, check out the Turn sequence doc!


Thanks - are you h4ppy on Paizo? i am not a member of paizo but have been following the rules debate with selinker and others with interest. as soon as a catch-all statement is developed somebody finds a card which is the exception. i do not have that much time to play the game but am a huge fan.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian @BoardGameMonster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I'm h4ppy on Paizo
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian @BoardGameMonster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nssxxx wrote:
Faded wrote:
jtrowell wrote:
As far as I understand, evading an encoutenr means that you ignore completly the card, so you don't even get to the point of rolling wisdom, and don't take pre-combat damage from some monsters like the enchanter.

If you roll the wisdom check, then you are already encountering the monster and it's too late to evade.


Correct.


but is it too late to defeat?


I'm not sure I understand the question...

if you evade an encounter then it is neither defeated nor undefeated.

If you encounter it and roll a wisdom check then it would be defeated or undefeated depending on your roll...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
Avatar
mb
question is whether you can play caltrops before wisdom check on bunyip?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
????
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nssxxx wrote:
question is whether you can play caltrops before wisdom check on bunyip?


You can play it before the check to evade it but not to defeat it since the wisdom check happens before the encounter.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian @BoardGameMonster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nssxxx wrote:
question is whether you can play caltrops before wisdom check on bunyip?


Take a look at the timing doc (sorry to keep pluggin this!) - it clearly shows when you can do what.

In summary, though, cards which let you 'auto-pass' a check (e.g. caltrops' "to defeat" power) have to be played in the 'Auto-pass' window, which is after you start the check but before you roll the dice or play cards/powers to affect the check.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
Avatar
mb
what about my Augury question - are Villain/Henchman their own type?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian @BoardGameMonster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nssxxx wrote:
what about my Augury question - are Villain/Henchman their own type?


They have their type written on them (look at the top-right of the cards). E.g. the poison traps are (from memory) of type 'barrier' whereas the Ancient Skeletons are of type 'monster'.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.