United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, internets, how did you know?? It's JUST what I wanted!! wow

Now to convince the wife we totally don't need as large a downpayment on that house...I mean, surely this will pay for itself in 'the long run'*, yes?

(*Okay, okay, maybe pay for itself in 3 weeks or so...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many cheaper ways to make your own beer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:

I think it's more about lowering the time/patience threshold for entering the hobby...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:

I think it's more about lowering the time/patience threshold for entering the hobby...

Oh, I'm not saying this is a bad idea at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:

And many cheaper ways to make your own coffee than Keurig.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:

And many cheaper ways to make your own coffee than Keurig.

Don't drink coffee

caffeine = very bad for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I didn't already have my garage packed full of cooking equipment I'd like to get some stainless cone carboys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
$1300!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY.

This doesn't do anything but essentially a concentrated mash - that is, it's a simplified method to extract the malted sugars from cracked grain. They've saved a step by adding the hops at this point (something that is actually a BAD IDEA.)

But you STILL Have to transfer to a primary fermenter and add yeast for fermentation, which means you are STILL left with a brew bucket with dead trub at the bottom. You are also STILL waiting at least two or three weeks, then transferring it to a secondary fermenter, waiting another two or three weeks, transferring it to a bottling bucket and adding more sugar to reactivate the yeast for bottling (which when bottled under pressure, produces CO2 to carbonate the beer etc etc). Their system seems to imply you can skip these steps and ferment directly in the Cornelius keg, but what that means is a bunch of floaty proteins and yeast particulates still in your beer that will produce off flavors and a bunch of sediment at the bottom of your corni keg. Fermentation is VIOLENT, depending on how high flocculating the yeast is--how does their system adjust for an aggressive Belgian yeast or a Bavarian wheat yeast? It will be a NIGHTMARE to get the trub out of the bottom of that corni keg to clean it for the next batch...

So it may make the mash easier, but thank you, no. I will save $1300 and just do a mini mash in a cooler or brew in a bag. Boiling of wort is an important step, since the point at which you add hops during the boil determines things like acidity, bitterness, flavor and aroma.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
XanderF wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:

If you need that lowered, it's not a hobby for you.

Brewing is, among other things, about patience. The old saying is, "Relax, have a homebrew!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
Brewing is, among other things, about patience. The old saying is, "Relax, have a homebrew!"

Indeed.

I'm drinkin' one right now Brew in a bag for the win. One (large) pot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.