United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all

I've been busy, busy, busy behind the scenes. I apologize for the lack of recent updates. Unlike with Red Winter, where 70% of my time was spent on art and promotions, I've been working on the game itself. I did try to post a quick update twice in the last month but it seems to have gone oddly missing both times. soblueNot sure what's up with that. I also had a bit of trouble getting an article past admin. Oh well.

On to other news...

Module Update

The talented Dave Deitch has come through with yet another Zun Tzu module update for Operation Dauntless. The newest module incorporates the latest playtest counters as well as the new, improved playtest map by Antonio Pinar. This should mark the final versions of playtest map and counters. They are the ones I'm handing over to Mark Mahaffey and Charlie Kibler, respectively, for creating the final components.

The following artwork is for playtesting purposes only and does not represent final versions! Playtest map by Antonio Pinar, playtest counters by me. And yes, I am well aware that not all vehicles are done in the same style. I was experimenting. Rest assured that the final counters will be done in the same style used by Charlie Kibler for Red Winter.

Here's a portion of the northern half of the map from version 7.2 of the playtest map.

Here are some sample playtest counters for British units, British assets, German units, and miscellaneous units and markers.

Note that the German Elefant and King Tiger units, as well as the American Hellcat tank destroyers, are used only in the fictional "SS Zoo" scenario. It's a remake of the classic GEV "Breakthrough" scenario whereby the Allied player has to exit his speedy but thinly armored Hellcats off the northern edge of the map while a smaller number of more powerful German units defend a thin line. It's included just for fun.

And here's the playtest version of the Assault chits (blue fronts, red backs) and modifier chits (green) used for determining the number and order of allowed zero-range AT Fire attacks in assaults. This method has proved much easier and much more fun than the previous method which relied heavily on lists of DRMs. Now only modifiers drawn on the green modifier chits apply to any given AT Fire attack, making assaults a highly unpredictable affair. The number of such drits drawn depends on the time of day and ranges from 4 on clear day turns to 2 on fog turns.

A Call to Arms!

I'm looking for a few good men or women who are willing to create save game files for the scenario setups. The game has 15 scenarios, plus about half a dozen tutorial scenarios. Creating a setup file for each one should be a fairly simple matter, but it will be time consuming. I can do it if necessary but I feel I can better utilize my limited Op D time on other endeavors including proofing, development, and (especially) the designer notes + historical notes for the playbook, plus final playtesting and balancing of the scenarios themselves.

This work would require a current version of Zun Tzu, the latest module, and a willingness to go through the playbook a scenario at a time, dragging the appropriate counters to their setup hexes (or regions) on the map. Then we can have a save game file for each scenario, making final playtesting a breeze.

Any volunteers?

Below: A Firefly of the British 24th Lancers tank regiment captured in a screenshot from Broadsword's 3D recreation of the battlefield. This is the hilltop northwest of Fontenay (see map above.

Thanks in advance for your kind consideration!

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we have enough volunteers at this point. Thanks, guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.