Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Relative Difficulty/Complexity? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played Attack Wing or any of its sister "gaming" systems, but I am curious as the relative complexity, difficulty, play length. For my play group (i.e. close friends and relatives), the Command and Colors games are fairly popular, and occasionally I can convince someone to play Axis and Allies: War at Sea. Much more difficult than that, though, and I generally lose them. Where would Attack Wing rate relative to that difficulty level?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Memoir from the C&C series. I'd say that Attack Wing is just a little more complicated. The basics of AW are simpler than M'44, but the crew upgrades and other special abilities add a bit of complexity every time. That being said, people can be eased into the upgrades over time.

I don't think AW would be overly complicated for your group, especially if they are Star Trek fans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin OConnor
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
What is your favorite color?
mbmbmbmbmb
Building your fleet is straight forward. There is a decent meta game that is growing as more ships come out.

The actual game play rules are fairly simple.
Plan your move, move, shoot, resolve damage, etc.
The complexity comes from how you make use of your assets.

Overall it is a really good game.

There are also plenty of videos that give a good overview of the game and how it is played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty S
United States
Cheney
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Echo2Omega is right. The basic game is pretty simple. I'd say MORE simple than C&C Ancients. So if you want to just grab a couple of ships and captains and ease yourself into the game I think you'd be very happy with it. Then, after a game or two like that, start customizing the ships with upgrades and crew.

-EDIT-

Play length totally depends on the amount of ships in the battle. A one-on-one battle could take as little as 20-30 minutes. My last 3-on-3 battle took about an hour and a half
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A good way to learn the game:

Start with 2-3 players (including yourself) with a 30 point ship each. Only having one ship to worry about and limiting the number of extra things they have to worry about makes it easier to learn the basics of the game and become comfortable with maneuvering around.

Second game, go up to 50 points each, and run the Against the Scimitar cooperative scenario. This will get them comfortable with having upgrades on their ships and dealing with an erratic and (mostly) unpredictable enemy, while letting you give them advice on tactics and maneuvers without sounding patronizing.

If they're struggling, let them play the Klingons in the Kobiyashi Maru scenario to get used to flying multiple ships around. After that, work in a few scenarios with obstacles and non-kill objectives until they get everything down and running 100+ point lists with ease.

-Edit-

On game length, I've found it runs in 30 minutes to ~an hour, as long as at least one player knows what they are doing and can gently guide the other in remembering what everything is and does, and what order to do everything in. Fortunately, most of the rules are very intuitive, and can be learned very quickly (and I have not yet had a game run over an hour - though I imagine a 'full fleet' setup would definitely test the boundaries of that limit).

Alternatively, you can just jump in and let them play with everything, but you run the risk of overloading them with that (which is not to say it can't be done successfully).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It CAN be basically as simple as you want it to be. The strategy elements are pretty deep, but the system isn't complicated, per se. Keep the point value of your fleet low, and it keeps the game simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fastback M
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
If you can, get the starter set and try the three person missions. These are simple and the builds are laid out in the instructions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.