David Oldster
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Picked it up from the post office.

Not gonna lie. When I saw the size of the rulebook, I was simultaneously excited and terrified.

Now to find some kindred masochists, errr, enthusiasts and try and arrange a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Clowsewitz
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't seem soooo hard. Right? The good thing is it all looks pretty straight forward. There's just a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Clevenger
United States
Sunnyvale
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hatepig wrote:
It doesn't seem soooo hard. Right? The good thing is it all looks pretty straight forward. There's just a lot.

Just keep telling yourself that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you haven't played a game this complicated yet, try The Supreme Commander from GMT first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Punch that sucker out and play the Midway scenario. I loved it. You'll screw up half the rules, but just power through it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a thread where I talk about my first fight at Midway.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1034588/a-world-at-war
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's definitely an option. Most folks crank up the North Africa scenario to start tho. Don't read the whole rule book-just the parts pertaining to the sequence of play, movement and combat. If you haven't played 3R-A3R before then, yup, you're going to mess up the first couple times playing it. If you have the mindset of using the game itself to learn the rules-you'll catch on; sooner than you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rexbinary
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
In Stereo
badge
I pwnz j00!
mbmbmbmbmb
friendc wrote:
If you haven't played a game this complicated yet, try The Supreme Commander from GMT first.

GMT Games has halted shipping of that game due to errata issues. I would recommend something else for now until it's been addressed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Oldster
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grumblesa10 wrote:
If you haven't played 3R-A3R before then, yup, you're going to mess up the first couple times playing it. If you have the mindset of using the game itself to learn the rules-you'll catch on; sooner than you think.

I played 3R a long time ago. Part of the reason why this game appealed, because I frickin LOVED 3R.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rexbinary wrote:
friendc wrote:

GMT Games has halted shipping of that game due to errata issues. I would recommend something else for now until it's been addressed.

Sadly, you are correct. Glad I got it before they did. I also have AWAW. What a monster!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Cummings
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just got it in the mail this weekend. I owned 3R and A3R but have never played them, and am excited to start with AWAW.

One thing that cracks me up: the game is listed as 8 of 9 in terms of complexity. What game is actually more complex than this one?

I suppose they are out there -- maybe World in Flames? -- surely this must share the highest level of complexity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a very good game.

The rules book is frightening, but take it one step at a time and don't sweat making mistakes - just have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kommie_Bob wrote:
I just got it in the mail this weekend. I owned 3R and A3R but have never played them, and am excited to start with AWAW.

One thing that cracks me up: the game is listed as 8 of 9 in terms of complexity. What game is actually more complex than this one?

I suppose they are out there -- maybe World in Flames? -- surely this must share the highest level of complexity.

I think it's about a 12! WIF is probably a little easier, maybe an 11. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kouba

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmb
My only problem with the "don't worry about mistakes, just play" approach, in general, is I don't know when I'm making a mistake. That's why I'm making them in the first place.

I too am trying to muddle my way through AWAW. I would love a full turn comprehensive example, or some video tutorials. That's usually how I learn best, with the game in front of me but someone is pointing things out as I go along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jkouba wrote:
My only problem with the "don't worry about mistakes, just play" approach, in general, is I don't know when I'm making a mistake. That's why I'm making them in the first place.

I too am trying to muddle my way through AWAW. I would love a full turn comprehensive example, or some video tutorials. That's usually how I learn best, with the game in front of me but someone is pointing things out as I go along.

Right on Jeff! Couldn't agree more. I'd love to see that. Then maybe even I'd get the courage to play this thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Elkins
United States
Richlands
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Kommie_Bob"]I just got it in the mail this weekend. I owned 3R and A3R but have never played them, and am excited to start with AWAW.

Bob, I know some folks will disagree with me, but don't give up on those first two yet. I've been playing 3R since days of yore and found that it was far from overwhelming to make the transition with each new release. But I couldn't even imagine what it would be like to start with AWAW. If learning AWAW stops being fun, break out 3R and work up incrementally. Yes, there are a lot of differences between each; but there are also enough similarities to make the changes manageable. Besides, there WILL be times when you feel like playing one of the games in the 3R family and space-time requirements rule out AWAW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
My role model for his brains, calm demeanour and appetite for snacks!
mbmbmbmbmb
jkouba wrote:

Right with you there. Am in the middle of the Fall 1939 Allied turn right now, and I take advantage of the fact that there are no prior turns to backtrack in all cases where I realize I made a mistake. Not being a perfectionist here, but I learn best by correcting the mistake on the spot so that the particular rule is drummed into my head by virtue of correcting it. I am less likely to repeat the same mistake in the next turn.

As it turns out, the Allied turn has taken half the time that I spent on the Axis turn, and it has proceeded in a noticeably smoother manner too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Pfeiffer
United States
Laporte
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
friendc wrote:
rexbinary wrote:
friendc wrote:

Sadly, you are correct. Glad I got it before they did. I also have AWAW. What a monster!

GMT has another one coming out in November http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/61487/unconditional-surre...

I have played several tests games and like it very much. It lasts from 1 hour to 3000 depending on the which scenario you play. The rules are easy but the strategy is a mind bender. I find that I am rarely thinking about rules (only after a couple games) and such and I am just playing. Really intuitive. I think it costs $50 or so. I have a test copy so a few things have changed in the purchased product. You can try a free version of this game called Case Blue Unconditional surrender. Works well. A very easy game to modify if you like that sort of thing. The designer (also did Dai Senso,Totalaer Krieg)is great and easy to get a hold of. His new game is not as hard as his previous efforts nor is this game as full of chrome as say WiF or World at War but it is still a monster...an accessible monster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.