Ryan Nicholson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
This may have been asked, but I did a quick search and while I saw similar discussions, I didn't see the exact answer, or it wasn't clear enough for me

Keep in mind I haven't even finished reading the rules yet, but I came across these 2 sentences that seem to contradict each other.

Page 11 of the rules in "Determine Which Die You're Using"

"If your character doesn't have any of the skills listed for a check, you can still attempt the check, but your die is a d4. You may use a skill that isn't listed on your character card only if another card gives your character that skill."

These seem to contradict each other (in my mind). So if you do not have the skill, you use a d4, but you need a card giving your character that skill first? Or no? Each sentence makes sense by itself, but combined they are confusing me. Can someone give me an example, maybe?

Thanks for any clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Wagner
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
Seriously ... I am a hardcore gamer.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghibli326 wrote:
This may have been asked, but I did a quick search and while I saw similar discussions, I didn't see the exact answer, or it wasn't clear enough for me :)

Keep in mind I haven't even finished reading the rules yet, but I came across these 2 sentences that seem to contradict each other.

"If your character doesn't have any of the skills listed for a check, you can still attempt the check, but your die is a d4. You may use a skill that isn't listed on your character card only if another card gives your character that skill."

These seem to contradict each other (in my mind). So if you do not have the skill, you use a d4, but you need a card giving your character that skill first? Or no? Each sentence makes sense by itself, but combined they are confusing me. Can someone give me an example, maybe?

If you have no skill (similar to having no class in Munchkin - he he he ) you roll a d4, but it is a skill-less d4 .. meaning that if you had cards the "buffed" one of the skills listed on the check, you can't buff it. (like a card that said add a d6 to your perception check)

You need a card that actually allows you to MAKE a perception check before you could play a card that buffed your perception check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Nicholson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
AiriusTorpora wrote:
ghibli326 wrote:
This may have been asked, but I did a quick search and while I saw similar discussions, I didn't see the exact answer, or it wasn't clear enough for me

If you have no skill (similar to having no class in Munchkin - he he he ) you roll a d4, but it is a skill-less d4 .. meaning that if you had cards the "buffed" one of the skills listed on the check, you can't buff it. (like a card that said add a d6 to your perception check)

You need a card that actually allows you to MAKE a perception check before you could play a card that buffed your perception check.

Ah, okay. But you could still use a d4 for perception check, just not use the card buff?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Wagner
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghibli326 wrote:

Ah, okay. But you could still use a d4 for perception check, just not use the card buff?

Not exactly... this is a distinction that makes a difference. It says if you have none of the listed skills you may roll a d4. It is not that you get a d4 in perception all of a sudden... you just get a generic d4 without the perception attribute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hatfield
United States
Mt. Vernon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ghibli326 wrote:
AiriusTorpora wrote:
ghibli326 wrote:

Correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Nicholson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Faded wrote:
ghibli326 wrote:
AiriusTorpora wrote:
ghibli326 wrote:

Correct.

Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AiriusTorpora wrote:
ghibli326 wrote:

Unless the rulings have been changed, it is perfectly ok to buff a skill you don't have. Ezren can use Night Watch to roll d4 + d10 for a perception check for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Enden
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gawain wrote:
medwards wrote:
AiriusTorpora wrote:
ghibli326 wrote:

Unless the rulings have been changed, it is perfectly ok to buff a skill you don't have. Ezren can use Night Watch to roll d4 + d10 for a perception check for example.

Hmm.. that's what I thought too.

There is a misapprehension here, I think. When you determine the skill you are using, you can select a skill that you do not have, but you only get to roll a d4. You still do not "have" the skill. Fine. However, cards like Night Watch say "add a d10 to your perception CHECK" not "add a d10 to you perception SKILL". You are currently making a perception check, because that is the skill you chose (even though you don't "have" that skill), so you can add the d10 to your d4 in this case with the Night Watch. In general, cards add dice to CHECKS not to SKILLS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're most likely right. I've never been able to think of an example that is actually affected by this difference. Is there one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Enden
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
medwards wrote:
You're most likely right. I've never been able to think of an example that is actually affected by this difference. Is there one?

Here is a possibility: you are making a divine check, but you do not have the divine skill, so you roll a d4. You play a spell on the check that says "If you do not have the Divine skill, banish this card." In this case, you banish the card, because even though you are currently attempting a Divine check, you do not temporarily "have" the Divine skill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Wagner
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brayle wrote:
medwards wrote:

Here is a possibility: you are making a divine check, but you do not have the divine skill, so you roll a d4. You play a spell on the check that says "If you do not have the Divine skill, banish this card." In this case, you banish the card, because even though you are currently attempting a Divine check, you do not temporarily "have" the Divine skill.

Winner winner chicken dinner! :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.