Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey All,

I just got this game as a present so I don't know all the ins and outs of it yet. However, it seems like 1 X-Wing is worth 2 Tie-Fighters. If I were to buy 1 more Tie-Fighter and 2 more X-Wings, could I play just those six together or will the X-Wings always be worth too much for that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at the point costs of X-Wings and TIE Fighters. You can quite easily field 2 TIEs and just 1 X-Wing for the same cost. And thus you could field 4 TIEs and 2 X-Wings (with upgrades). If you took the most expensive TIEs and the cheapest X-Wings, maybe you could do a 3v3 matchup, but I doubt the imperials could ever win.

I'd recommend getting 2 more TIEs and 1 more X-Wing. Cheapest way to do this? Buy a second core set. It's cheaper than 3 expansions ($40 vs $45 MRSP) and you get the bonus of extra dice and maneuver templates, etc.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davyd A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Look at the point costs of X-Wings and TIE Fighters. You can quite easily field 2 TIEs and just 1 X-Wing for the same cost. And thus you could field 4 TIEs and 2 X-Wings (with upgrades). If you took the most expensive TIEs and the cheapest X-Wings, maybe you could do a 3v3 matchup, but I doubt the imperials could ever win.

The cheapest X-Wing is worth 21 points. 3 of them is 63.

I just tried to build a list with 3 TIEs, using only cards found in the corse set or the TIE expansion. The best I got was 58 points, and it would be a pretty crap list.

I agree with shnar - X-Wings are worth between 1.5 and 2 TIEs, and you'd do a lot better with a 4 on 2 matchup than a 3 on 3. A second core set is an efficient way to do that, though if you stick with the came you will want an X-Wing and a TIE expansion for the pilots, eventually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Woodworth
Japan
flag msg tools
Maybe if you had a tie fighter, tie advanced and tie interceptor....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normal TIEs are the cheapest and weakest ships in the game. Their advantage is that they're cheap, which means you can use a lot of them. If you're not going to use a lot of them, use something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Woodworth
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you were to take the max point value Tie Fighter squad...

Howlrunner, Push the Limit, Stealth Device.
Mauler Mithel, Push the Limit, Stealth Device.
Dark Curse or Backstabber, Stealth Device.

That would come out to be 66 points. that would put you at 3 points more then a 3 rookie pilot x-wing list.

Honestly those two lists might not be too bad. But would require you using proxies, which I don't think would be a huge issue.

The TF pilots will move last and shoot first, and with SD they'll be hard to hit. Howlrunner and Mauler can use PtL to focus/evade on top the SD. So it could work.

But if it were me, I'd get 2 Tie Fighters and 1 X-Wing giving you 4 TF's, 2 X's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reckless Fable
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
For the Dorkentime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi M. Strauss and welcome to the neighborhood!

This game is balanced by a points system, rather than by model count. In general, the game is actually balanced well from that standpoint which is large reason it is so popular.

So that being said:
2:1 ratio of Ties to X-Wings is usually best, even scaled up to 100 points it is a similar ratio. But as others have said, why limit yourself to just those models when you can get Interceptors? devil

I really think the best minimum buy-in for X-Wing is 2 core sets and one X-wing and one Tie expansion.

That gives you 3 X-WIngs and 5 Ties and all the pilots. (and enough dice and templates for both players) It is pretty well-balanced, points-wise, though another Imperial ship would be good, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Woodworth
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HawkeyeLonewolf wrote:
I'm actually about to buy a 3rd core, just to get the otherwise unavailable X-Wing and 2 more Ties... then I can do a swarm vs. 3 x-wings if I want.

Nothing wrong with that. But you will want to get a X-Wing and Tie Fighter expansion if you don't already have one, at some point or another, just for the extra pilots that come with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can see here what the various sets come with. Wedge Antilles and Howlrunner are very nice pilots who are only in the expansions.

http://xwing-miniatures.wikia.com/wiki/X-Wing_Core_Set

http://xwing-miniatures.wikia.com/wiki/X-Wing_Expansion_Pack

http://xwing-miniatures.wikia.com/wiki/TIE_Fighter_Expansion...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.