Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jamie Shanks
Canada
Unspecified
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question regarding Alien Techs: the rule states that "Cards that can benefit ships already built (like Soylent Purple) go into effect immediately (all existing ships get that benefit)."

Exactly which cards qualify for this? I imagine Stim Packs would likely be one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer: All of them!

Long Answer: Almost all cards modify the behaviour of ships after they've been build. Be it a +1 to attack, 1/2 maintenance, or some special ability. This includes Stim Packs since it is a +1 effect.
It also includes, for example, Mobile Analysis Bay (i.e. if you have captured ships before you drew that card and haven't scrapped them yet you can gain technology from them in the next econ phase without scrapping them) and Emissive Armor (all your CAs, currently on the board and build in the future, take an extra hit to be destroyed. This even counts for any potential combat later in the turn you drew the card!)

There are a few exceptions though: Efficient Factories doesn't apply to ships at all. All cards of the "X ship type costs Y cp less" type obviously only apply when building ships. The Interlinked Targeting Computer applies to DDs currently on the board, but you will still have to actually upgrade them to the higher attack tech levels according to normal upgrade rules.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Shanks
Canada
Unspecified
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks... I guess what I'm wondering is which cards permit an instant upgrade to your existing ships, as the rule seems to describe. Soylent Purple is given as the example, with the clarification that this type of alien tech "is so advanced that it is easy to install" and all eligible ships on the board are immediately equipped with it.

So how easy are Long Lance Torpedoes to install, for instance? I drew this card in a recent game and had destroyer groups already deployed and in action. The question was: did they need to return to a SY for retrofitting as usual, or did this qualify for the special instant upgrade benefit like Soylent Purple?

The parameters of this are still unclear to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Upshaw
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jshanks wrote:
Thanks... I guess what I'm wondering is which cards permit an instant upgrade to your existing ships, as the rule seems to describe. Soylent Purple is given as the example, with the clarification that this type of alien tech "is so advanced that it is easy to install" and all eligible ships on the board are immediately equipped with it.

So how easy are Long Lance Torpedoes to install, for instance? I drew this card in a recent game and had destroyer groups already deployed and in action. The question was: did they need to return to a SY for retrofitting as usual, or did this qualify for the special instant upgrade benefit like Soylent Purple?

The parameters of this are still unclear to me.

The sentence “This alien technology is so advanced that it is easy to install.” is aimed at all of the tech cards not just Soylent Purple.

You drew the card so any DDs you have in play now can fire at B. You do not need to refit them for this ability to take effect. There is no place on the Ship Technology Sheet for this to be tracked so what would you circle on the sheet if you brought them in for refit?

If we had wanted the players to have to refit their ships to use these cards we would have had to cram 1-3 extra slots on to the Ship Technology Sheet to keep track of all of the combat tech from the cards that are available per ship type. That would still mean leaving two slots off of the sheet to keep track of Reduced Maintenance and Reduced Cost Tech Cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Oliver.
What I was trying to say in my previous post was that all cards qualify for instant implementation (i.e. all alien technologies are advanced and easy to install). It's just that this doesn't have an effect for a few exceptions and that the Interlinked Targeting Computer only confers the ability to upgrade unlimited attack tech, but doesn't instantly install your current level on the DDs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Upshaw
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah Interlink Targeting Computers is an exception as it says in the rules that you have to refit existing ships to carry the technology, while your new builds would come with it installed. Maybe we should have put Attack 2 & 3 on the Ship Technology Sheet for DDs because of this so that it could be tracked by the players without them having to write it in themselves. Probably would have caused problems though with people who would not read all of the rules and would look at the sheet and think that ALL DDs could now mount Attack 2 & 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think everything that comes with the game (rules and ship tech sheets) is fine.
The few times that you get specific alien tech cards you can just write whatever you need (e.g. attack tech 2/3) on the sheet. Pretty simple and no risk of confusing anybody as you pointed out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Shanks
Canada
Unspecified
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to you both. After reading your comments through, I see how I was misinterpreting the rule... something about the wording was throwing me off, I think. All clear now.

Quote:
I think everything that comes with the game (rules and ship tech sheets) is fine.
The few times that you get specific alien tech cards you can just write whatever you need (e.g. attack tech 2/3) on the sheet. Pretty simple and no risk of confusing anybody as you pointed out.

Agreed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.