Matthew Schoell
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find myself enjoying creating adventures for this game, I suppose it's a life spent GMing tabletop games. I have the ideas but not really the background to produce artwork/card images, so I just recommend proxies in a lot of places. I have tried to make everything as clear as possible, so like any effort I am sure what seems obvious to me will need revision. I'll try and keep up to clarify anything. Right now I have the first 4 scenarios of the adventure and hope to post the fifth soon.

Assault of the Elements - Adventure

Capturing Jubrayl Vhiski closed the doors of his black market, but some of the most dangerous contraband remains unaccounted for. Of great concern to the mages of the Academy, Jubrayl brokered the sale of a treatise on portals to dimensions of chaos housing any manner of creatures that could wreak havoc on Sandpoint. After consulting the oracles of Sandpoint Cathedral, the Academy believes the cultists who purchased the treatise perished after ineptly summoning a demon of chaos named Kurgruz. Appearances of Kurgruz tell of natural disasters and calamity in his wake. Dark times threaten Sandpoint unless the heroes can find a way to banish Kurgruz.

Players may decide the order they wish to undertake the first 4 scenarios of the adventure, being Sandpoint Ablaze, Pearls of the Kraken, Spelunkophobia!, and A Fell Song on the Wind.

Reward: Each player may gain a card feat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schoell
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Assault of the Elements - Adventure
Sandpoint Ablaze

Kurgruz keeps a kennel of Hellhounds bred for an unholy combination of intelligence and cruelty. One such beast was released to sow panic. The hound took only long enough to intimidate a goblin band into joining his raid before charging into Sandpoint intending to reduce the town to ashes.

Players/Locations:
1: Sandpoint Cathedral, Apothecary, Glassworks
2: Town Square
3: Farmhouse
4: The Rusty Dragon
5: Village House
6: Prison

Villain: Hell Hound (remove from the monster deck)
Replace Hell Hound text with the following: Before the encounter, add 1 Fire Token to the location. After the encounter, the Hell Hound deals 1 Fire damage per Fire Token at the current location. The difficulty of the combat check to defeat the Hell Hound is increased by 1 for each Fire Token at the current location and 2 for each open Burnt location.
Henchman: Goblin Pyro, Goblin Raider (remove the Pyros from the monster deck)
Replace the Goblin Pyro text with the following: Before the encounter add 1 Fire Token to the location. After the encounter the Goblin Pyro deals 1 Fire damage per Fire Token at the current location.

Setting up this scenario: Gather a suitable item to serve as Fire Tokens during the scenario (maximum needed would equal 3 per location). When creating the blessings deck, shuffle 2 random monsters from the box per location with enough blessing cards to bring the deck up to 30 cards. If the Holy Candle is played, select only blessings from the blessings discard to shuffle back into the deck.

During this scenario: If a monster is drawn from the blessing deck, add a Fire Token to a random location. If a location ever gets three Fire Tokens, it immediately and permanently becomes a Burnt location. When a location becomes burnt, any player at that location takes 1d6 Fire damage. Banish all cards in the location deck with the exception of the villain or henchmen (if any). Players can only close Burnt locations by defeating the villain there (not henchmen).

Reward: Each character may draw a random Weapon or Spell from the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schoell
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spelunkophobia!

Kurzurg sent a hideously maimed goblin on a mission below Sandpoint. In sightless depths the goblin found a demonic ooze, a seething foulness the Academy’s texts name Yzztyl. As sinkholes and collapses begin threatening the foundations of Sandpoint, excursions into the passages beneath the city become the only hope of dispersing Yzztyl.

Players/Locations:
1: Deeper Dungeons, Thassilonian Dungeon, Treacherous Cave
2: Academy
3: Warrens
4: The Rusty Dragon
5: Desecrated Vault
6: Catacombs of Wrath

Villain: Yzztyl (Use a proxy such as a Poison Trap)
Henchmen: Koruvus, Ancient Skeleton

Yzztyl: Check to Defeat is Combat, Difficulty 14. Any melee weapon used in a combat check against Yzztyl is banished after combat. Any armor used to prevent damage from Yzztyl is banished after combat. Any combat damage dealt by Yzztyl is Acid combat damage.

Setting up this scenario: When creating the blessings deck, shuffle 5 random barriers from the box with 25 blessings to form the blessings deck.

During this scenario: When a barrier is drawn from the blessings deck, a cave in or collapse occurs at the location with the most players, choosing randomly if there is a tie. All players at the location must pass a Dexterity/Acrobatics/Survival 7 check. If players fail to pass the check, they take 2 points of unpreventable damage and are Cut Off. A Cut Off player can not move or be moved from their current location until it is closed. A Cut Off player is never considered at the same location as another character until the status is removed.

Reward: Each character may drawn a random Spell or Blessing from the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schoell
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Fell Song on the Wind

Kurzurg enlisted his consort, the demonic sorceress Erylium, to blanket Sandpoint in a howling sandstorm. Erylium recruited sirens and spirits of the air capable of producing illusions and phantom lures to further sow chaos amid the storm. Erylium must be stopped for the city to mount an effective response to Kurgurz’s machinations.

Players/Locations:
1: Temple, Farmhouse, Glassworks
2: Garrison
3: Prison
4: Throne Room
5: Town Square
6: City Gate

Villain: Erylium
Replace the text on the Erylium card with the following. Before the encounter, make a Wisdom/Perception/Knowledge 8 check. If you pass, you may attempt a check to defeat Erylium. If you fail, move yourself and Elyrium to a random open location, but you may not attempt a combat check to defeat Erylium. If you have any cards left in your hand, you may opt to repeat the initial check with the same consequences. If you do not attempt a check to defeat Erylium, shuffle Erylium into the final location deck.
Henchmen: Siren, Spirits of Air (Use Spectre and Ghost as proxies).
Siren: Replace the text on the Siren card with the following. Before the encounter, make a Wisdom/Perception/Knowledge 7 check. If you pass, you may attempt a check to defeat Siren. If you fail, move yourself and the Siren to a random open location, but you may not attempt a combat check to defeat the Siren. If you have any cards left in your hand, you may opt to repeat the initial check with the same consequences. If you do not attempt a check to defeat the Siren, shuffle the Siren into the final location deck. The check to defeat the Siren is Combat, difficulty 9. If the Siren is defeated, you may attempt to close the location.
Spirit of Air: Replace the text on Spectres or Ghosts with the following. Before the encounter, make a Wisdom/Perception/Knowledge 7 check. If you pass, you may attempt a check to defeat the Spirit of Air. If you fail, move yourself and the Spirit of Air to a random open location, and attempt a check to defeat the Spirit of Air. The check to defeat the Spirit of Air is Combat, difficulty 8. If the Spirit of Air is defeated, you may attempt to close the location.

During this Scenario: Anytime you move, or are moved, to a new location, take 1 point of unpreventable damage.

Reward: Each character may draw a random Item or Ally from the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schoell
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pearls of the Kraken

Though it remains unclear what allies Kurzurg called upon below the waves, the awakening of the Kraken is clear. The Kraken is a force far stronger than Kurzurg can control, but by stealing its eggs, known as Kraken’s Pearls, Kurzurg makes use of the Kraken’s indiscriminate wrath. Hopefully returning the Pearls will return the Kraken to its slumber before the annihilation of Sandpoint’s coastal holdings.

Players/Locations:
1: Waterfront, The Old Light, Junk Beach
2: Apothecary
3: Warrens
4: Swallowtail Festival
5: Village House
6: Treacherous Cave

Villain: Kraken’s Maw (Use Black Fang as a proxy)
Kraken’s Maw: The Kraken’s Maw cannot be defeated. The check to defeat the Kraken’s Maw is a Combat check, difficulty 18. Regardless of whether the check is passed or failed, shuffle the Kraken’s Maw with blessings and distribute the cards to the locations just as with undefeated villains.
Henchmen: Kraken’s Pearls (Use Poison Traps as proxies)
Kraken’s Pearl: The check to acquire a Kraken’s Pearl is Intelligence/Wisdom/Perception/Knowledge of difficulty 4. If the check is passed, do not add the Kraken’s Pearl to your hand, but instead place it on your token card. Kraken’s Pearls can be given to other characters at your location the same as other cards, but can not be traded to other players after the scenario ends.

During this Scenario: The Kraken’s Maw can not be defeated, the player’s win the scenario by surviving until the Blessings deck empties. Locations never close.
If a character fails to explore at least once during their turn or if a character acquires a Kraken’s Pearl, a Tentacle monster is spawned. Use a random henchman from the box (except Poison Traps) as a proxy, and place the spawned Tentacle next to the location deck of the corresponding character. A spawned Tentacle immediately attempts to Grab that character, who must make a Strength/Dexterity/Acrobatics check of difficulty 7. If a player fails the check he is Grabbed, and place the Tentacle on that player’s Token card. If the player passes, nothing happens. If a Tentacle fails to Grab a character but survives to later rounds, it attempts to Grab a character at the start of any character’s turn at that location.
A Grabbed player discards 1 random card when grabbed, and discards 1 random card at the start of any turn he remains grabbed. If Grabbed at the start of a character’s turn, the only action they may attempt is a Combat check of difficulty 12 to kill the tentacle and free themselves. A player Grabbed at the start of their turn will not spawn another tentacle due to failing to explore. Other characters at a location with a tentacle may attempt one Combat check to kill a Tentacle per turn (possibly freeing a character) in addition to other actions.

Reward: Every character who possesses a Kraken’s Pearl when the Blessings Deck empties gains a skill feat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lets hope the ROTRL other adventure packs are half as creative as these. Nice one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will take this for a spin once my solo group is through Burnt Offerings. Slightly worried about the impact those extra feats will have on the rest of Rise of the Runelords campaign, but excited nonetheless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i'd keep custom and official adventures separate,
i'm awaiting some opaque card sleeves so i can make so nice art cards for my evil blessing idea, when i get to it i'll see about burning card and such
these burning ideas seem very cool, when you get say a burn card do you just use the previously draw blessing for Copy purposes.. ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R N
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Awesome work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gindlesperger
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doc Mage wrote:

Setting up this scenario: When creating the blessings deck, shuffle 5 random blessings form the box with 25 blessings to form the blessings deck.

Cool idea! ...but I'm assuming you meant 5 barriers here, not blessings?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hatfield
United States
Mt. Vernon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work.

And what is the point of tipping the author .01 GG per scenario? Is it meant as an insult or what? Seems moronic. Just think, only 795 more scenarios and you can get yourself a badge. :eyeroll:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schoell
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the kind words. I did mean 5 barriers, and amended that. I was thinking about the rewards and their impact on the xp/leveling curve, so to speak. I feel like some sort of reward is necessary, but it does threaten to overpower characters. I kept a separate record of adventure path only characters, but I am also playing my set with a couple groups so I am breaking down/setting up a lot.

I generally wanted to keep the blessings discard pile intact so it can keep its utility as a turn marker. I think I see that when I revise these, the sort of statuses like a "burnt" location or being "cut off" will want some explicit markers or tokens to show it clearly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cresswell
United Kingdom
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent work. When do we get scenario 5 ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schoell
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My hope/expectation is to complete and post the last scenario in my weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cresswell
United Kingdom
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDonald
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great stuff, really creative, and shows off what the system can do beyond the basics in the core set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanouil Karakostas
Greece
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cfmcdonald wrote:
This is great stuff, really creative, and shows off what the system can do beyond the basics in the core set.

It is trully great!
and the system can do many things with the community!

If only we had more cards sooner , and not waiting for this freaking bimonthly updates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schoell
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I actually seem to be hitting a deadline I set for myself, so that's kind of a win all on its own. Hope everyone enjoys and finds this a fitting conclusion. I don't think I mentioned this previously, but I aimed for this adventure to be for characters past PotLC. Not sure to recommend before or after Attack on Sandpoint.

The Purification of Sandpoint

The blazes are quenched. The foundations are fortified. The sands are still. The seas are calm. Now comes the hour to complete the purification of Sandpoint, to send Kurgruz back to the pandemonic hell that spawned him. It will not suffice to slay his mortal form, the spirits of demons linger. The corrupting essence of Kurgruz must be exorcised to dispel his influence completely.

Players/Locations:
1: Shrine to Lamashtu, Guard Tower, The Old Light
2: Warrens
3: Prison
4: Deeper Dungeons
5: Thassilonian Dungeon
6: Mountain Peak

Villain: Kurgruz (Use a proxy, such as Nualia)
At the start of combat with Kurgruz roll 1d3 (1d6 divided by 2, round up). Any die a player rolls during the combat check that does not exceed the 1d3 roll subtracts from the combat check instead of adding to it. The check to defeat Kurgruz is Combat of difficulty 15.
Henchmen: Chaos Imps (Use proxy henchmen such as Ancient Skeletons)
During the combat check any 1’s rolled subtract from the combat check instead of adding to it. Any dice that roll their maximum value during their combat check must be rerolled and the second roll used (do not reroll the die if it rolls the maximum value on the second roll). The check to defeat Chaos Imps are Combat of difficulty 8.

During this Scenario:
When a location is permanently closed replace its location deck with 1 random blessing from the box face down. Any 1s rolled during checks to close a location subtract from the check rather than adding to it.
To win the scenario, the players must achieve two conditions. First, Kurgruz must be defeated with no open locations to retreat to, as per normal villain rules. Players should permanently close the location where Kurgruz is finally defeated. After Kurgruz is defeated, players must exorcise the spirit of Kurgruz by banishing a number of blessings equal to the players plus one. Any player can contribute blessings, but players must banish all the necessary blessings at the same time.

On any check where dice rolls might subtract from the check, count only the number on the die to determine if it subtracts or adds to the check, any plus/minus is unaffected. Example: Valeros attempts a combat check against a Chaos Imp using only his melee. His check roll is 1d10+3, and the die rolls a 1. The result of his check is 2.

Reward: Each character gains a power feat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.