flag msg tools
http://podcastoficeandfire.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
Players
Lannister - me
Baratheon - Ian
Stark - Andrew C
Arryn - Steve

Ian and I were the most experienced, but we had all played the expansion at least once, so no rules explaining. Andrew was the least experienced, so I switched with him as I drew Stark, an easier faction to play. While a decent player, he was slower than usual to get his auto house one, which delayed him being a major factor until later in the game.

Turn 1 I decided to try out an unorthodox Lannister opening and it failed horribly, so bad that King's Landing fell. KL wouldn't have fallen if Baratheon had played a normal opening either, it was just a comedy of errors. However, knowing that KL was falling, I did make Baratheon use both of his higest cards while saving my higher cards. While this cost me the routed footmen as well, it at least used up Baratheon's two highest cards while saving mine. Turn 2 bid came up, Arryn taking the Sword while I got ahead of Baratheon on the tracks.

Baratheon was also able to cash in a card and jump ahead of everyone.
The next turn I made a deal with Arryn to try and contain Baratheon, and Arryn marched his ships down south. However, Baratheon raided my ship support and held him off, at the cost of Sallador Saan. I consolidated heavily and moved my forces around KL to try and take it back. Baratheon took blackwater, so I took it back, using Cersei to remove his consolidate order in KL and did face Patchface as expected, losing Tywin. Stark expanded and consolidated power. Arryn occupied Crackclaw point.

Going into third turn, Baratheon was still ahead. Arryn and I decided toi play supports in both crackclaw and blackwater bay, knowing Baratheon could raid only one of them. He chose to raid crackclaw and strike first to remove me from blackwater, protecting KL. However, the remaining support in blackwater bay helped Arryn's fleet to move in, and I delayed attacking Baratheon, allowing Arryn to attack again before Baratheon cycled cards and to take over Dragonstone. In exchange for this help, Arryn did not mind my takeover of Crackclaw point from him and safely routed back to the vale.

With a mustering, I was able to load another ship into the bay and to prepare to fend off a Stark moving ships down the west side of the map. Again Baratheon faced another difficult choice, whether to save the units in KL or to strike back at the Arryn fleet. He went for the later, managing to use his cycled cards to take back shipbreaker bay. The cost was the complete loss of his army in King's Landing. Stark took Ironman's bay from me in the west and marched on the vale in the east. However, he had put too many ships in the west and not enough in the east. Arryn was able to counter attack and take moat cailin and cut off the troops in the vale, to be killed later.

We decided to make the next turn the last as a few players had to leave early. There was another clash of kings and I took the sword and held onto King's Landing, cashing in a card as well. Arryn and Lannister tied at 5 points, with Lannister winning the tiebreak. It was far from a finished game, however, as Stark still had considerable forces and now that Baratheon had taken back the ocean, he had room to make a comeback. Baratheon was especially annoyed (amiably) about the effective double team he faced that game and was in negotiations with Stark to work together to take out Arryn's remaining fleet.

The game was definitely affected by my very poor start as Lannister, though it was more interesting that the standard start-up. As Arryn was another experienced player, he was quick to move and work with me to contain Baratheon. If Stark had been a stronger player, we would have been in trouble, though in reality, letting us fight an early rising Baratheon would have worked in his favour if he had moved more effectively in the mid-game. He also lacked the experience to bid as effectively in things like wilding attacks, of which we had a few, or to use the Raven effectively.

A few pictures from earlier in the game:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rist Sindar
Belarus
flag msg tools
What a garrison token you have placed in Eyrie? Is this garrison 2, not 6?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amin
Canada
flag msg tools
http://podcastoficeandfire.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
Ristsindar wrote:
What a garrison token you have placed in Eyrie? Is this garrison 2, not 6?

It is supposed to be 6. However, we couldn't find it initially during setup, so we put another garrison token there to remind us that there was a garrison there at all, if it was ever attacked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.